Photo

Narrative report: option to set a different font for notes.

reports narrative notes fonts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lauranth

lauranth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:28 AM

I would like to able to choose a different print font for fact and person notes included in the narrative report so they are obviously different from the rest of the narrative.

Currently if I want the appearance of the notes to be different, I have to do this manually on all the notes in a Word document, and of course there are hundreds of them. Which means as soon as I want to update the information and do a new report I have to do this all over again!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6173 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

Good idea!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

Once you get your style set up in word,keep it and use it each time you download a narrative report.   Any version of word can have your own created style.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 lauranth

lauranth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Nettie, but from what I understand of styles in Word, that wouldn't save me any time. You still have to apply the styles to the different sections. Whereas with the narrative report in RootsMagic you can set the fonts for the narrative and and the headings, but that at least is automatic, throughout the entire report. Am I missing something?

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6173 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

The only way I can think of to automate the restyling of the Note in Word would be if you had some unique tags at the beginning and end of each note, e.g., <note>...</note>. Then a Word macro or VB script could search the document for such pairs and restyle what's between and delete the tags. Of course, that's fraught with problems - the tags would come out in non-narrative reports if notes are included and unbalanced tags would have to be dealt with, not to mention adding the tags to all the notes. The latter can be readily done throughout the database with a SQLite script.

An enhancement to RM would be much easier for the user.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

I've little experience here, so Tom can correct me, but I wondered if a more visibly acceptable leading element would be the quote mark.  Even if some quote marks exist within certain fields, your Word macro can look only for fields with a leading quote.  The SQLite script could add a beginning and ending quote mark to the appropriate fields.

A wilder idea, in the old days, you could sometimes do trickery with a 'hidden' space, the 160 character (128+32).  I don't know if it's usable the same way in UTF8.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic