8 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

The RM7 help file lists the following for "Search & Replace".

"Search and replace helps you make mass changes to the records in your database. You can search and replace given names, surnames, prefix or suffix titles, multimedia filenames, notes, sources, citations or places. Select which field you want to search and replace, the text you want to search for, and the text you want to replace it with."

However, when you go to the drop down to select "field to Search",  "source" is not available.

Is the "source" selection no longer available? Or, how do you access it?

I want to make some mass changes to Master Source names (or titles) that appear in the master source list. I do not want to make any other changes to the source, only to it's name.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

Confirming the Help section is incorrect, it has been sent to development for correction.

You will need to go to Lists>Source List to to edit the Master Source title. It will be the first field to come up for that Master Source.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

Confirming the Help section is incorrect, it has been sent to development for correction.

You will need to go to Lists>Source List to to edit the Master Source title. It will be the first field to come up for that Master Source.

Renee,

I was revisiting this issue today and I still do not find "search and replace" for master sources to be available. It appears changes to Master Sources are still only available as one by one edits. Has this been fixed? Is it available? If so how do you access it? 

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:22 AM

Help has not been updated to remove Sources as one of the Search and Replace options. Development is working full-time on RM8 right now. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

Renee,

OK thanks

I have many master sources that are essentially duplicates, but are named differently because they were added from different software programs at different times. I'm trying to clean them up and I was hoping that the search and replace feature now included master sources.

Rick L.

RickL

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

If they have the same fields, but the title is different you can still manually merge them on the Source List. You won't need to change the title only on the one you want to keep. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6161 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

If merging is a viable solution, and you're willing to try a SQLite script, then have a look at Sources – Merge Duplicate Masters and its references. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:05 PM

If they have the same fields, but the title is different you can still manually merge them on the Source List. You won't need to change the title only on the one you want to keep. 

Yes, that is basically what I am doing now. I have been adding a "source type" prefix to the name which causes all master sources with the same name "prefix" to group together in the source list. I can then choose the one I want to keep and merge the others to it (again, it's a one at a time deal...). However, when you merge the master sources, all the associated citations pick up the new "choosen" master source data automatically. That is a big help.

Thanks again

Rick L

RickL

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

If merging is a viable solution, and you're willing to try a SQLite script, then have a look at Sources – Merge Duplicate Masters and its references. 

Yes Tom, I think merging is an option for most of my duplicated master sources. I'll give the script a look.

Thanks

Rick

RickL