• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

Every time I update my MyRootsMagic.com web site settings, the TITLE always reverts to my original set up, even though I have updated the TITLE every time (hundreds!).  So if I do not notice this when I update the data, my TITLE is screwed up on every update.

This applies to both the TITLE on my first site.rootsmagic.com/xxx site, and to any subsequent sites that I include a link in the EXTRA LINKS tab back to my original site URL.  The TITLE there reverts too when I am updating my Settings.

This is a major pain when all I want to do is update the data, especially if I miss retyping the TITLE in either of these places before a Save.

Thank you,

Dan Slater

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

When I change the website title in the Settings online it is not reflected back to the My RootsMagic Account website page or inside the program. The only place it changes is on the website page. Republish doesn't change it. So I see something different than what you are reporting.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Is there any chance it is because this was the very first tree I created with my new MyRootsMagic account?

Even if I link to this tree from a second tree's settings, the URL Title retains the original first tree's name too, no matter how many times I change and save it.  The second site Title if fine and saves each time.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Maybe clearing your browser cache would show the changed title?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

I have completely cleaned my PC with CCleaner, and fixed any registry issues and restarted the computer.  Same issue persists and I have included links to screen shots.

The first shot shows my two sites from the RootsMagic...Internet..MyRootsMagic (publish onine) on the left.

Dan Slater's Geneaolgy - password protected

Slater & Finn Genealogy - public.

The Dan Slater's Geneaolgy site is also up and you can see the Title is:

"Dan Slater's PRIVATE Genealogy Site"

The Settings screen is also up and you can see the Title is: Dan Slater.  It always reverts to this (the problem!) and I must fix it every time.

https://goo.gl/photo...qGjtxQ9Hzzj9q1A

In the next screen shot you can see my second site, "Slater & Finn Geneaolgy".

The Settings screen is also up at the EXTRA LINKS tab, and you can see that the URL for my first site also reverts to Title "Dan Slater" every time, even though you can see on the left the link Title was last set to "Dan Slater's Genealogy (private site)", and I must fix it every time.

https://goo.gl/photo...Cws8REENDmPZMV9

Neither of these two Title boxes on the Settings will retain what I put into them.  They revert to "Dan Slater" every time I open the settings for either site.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

It's possible that it has something to do with it being created prior to the website changes we made. Are you willing to delete and publish the site again?  You can use the same website URL afterwards. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Hi Renee:  I have tried that too before, and again after posting yesterday.

I deleted the site completely and created it again with a completely new re-publish.  I kept the same /danstree site URL but gave it a different site name/title. The same issue persists.  It must somehow be tied to the initial MyRootsMagic account I created, or the link to my registered copy of RM7 under my name.  Just a thought.  

Dan

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Can you call into support and have them see what is happening.

Phone: 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

RM Tech Support contacted by telephone, but is forwarding to a higher power (Alan was mentioned).  The support person I spoke with did not have access to this Forum to see the issue details, and was not familiar with the web publishing Settings screens.

Update 30 min. later...Very nice call back from Diana who got a quick response from Alan Buzbee who can see the code.

Now that's service!  Thank's very much to both. The problem is one rogue apostrophe!

"Ok, what's happening is the apostrophe is breaking the input form on the admin page

so when he types "Dan Slater's PRIVATE Genealogy Site" it saves properly, and displays properly

BUT, when he goes into the admin settings, when it tries to display the current title in the input box, it gets broken up by the HTML because the apostrophe isn't escaped properly and it only shows everything up until the apostrophe

This is probably an easy fix and I may be able to patch it today. But a workaround would be to leave out the apostrophe in the meantime."

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

That would be Alan Buzbee, son of the RootsMagician, username here of alansogd who has not accessed these forums since Oct 2015...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

Well he must have accessed the forum and it's much appreciated!  Because I was able to send a link to this thread to Diana, who sent it to Alan, so all my details and screen shots were available and I didn't have to explain it all over again.  It was tough enough explaining it in writing.  But spotting a rogue apostrophe that was breaking the web code?  Nice!!!  These forums are a great resource for documenting the details.

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

That's good news. One can read the messages without logging in.

Yes, the IPB Forums technology is much superior to Facebook for this kind of thing but its popularity has been outstripped.

#13 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

Great news!  One-half of problem has been corrected by RM.  The apostrophe-breaking code on the main site's TITLE is fixed.  However the secondary location needs fixing too.  May I please trouble someone to send this to Alan Buzbee as well to fix the EXTRA LINKS TAB Title field?

Recap of secondary location issue.....

In the next screen shot you can see my second site, "Slater & Finn Geneaolgy".

The Settings screen is also up at the EXTRA LINKS tab, and you can see that the URL for my first site also reverts to Title "Dan Slater" every time, even though you can see on the left the link Title was last set to "Dan Slater's Genealogy (private site)", and I must fix it every time.

https://goo.gl/photo...Cws8REENDmPZMV9

And thank you for this wonderful support!

Dan Slater

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Alan reports that all of this should be fixed now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Hi Renee:  Unfortunately not fixed and the Extra Links tab still gives the same results.  The title reverts to pre-apostrophe text.  I even tried adding a second link line and the same thing happens.  Not a big deal for me to fix the title any time I change any settings. Having my main site title box fixed on the Home tab is a much-appreciated bonus.

Dan

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

Did you re-upload the database? Changes only apply after a database update.

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

It's fixed!  Thank you very much!

Dan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web site, title, website, web title