#1 jmcb_edw

jmcb_edw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have only used Ancestry.com.

At one point I was locked out of my old account due to an old email change and could not seem to get a reply from Ancestry support, so I created a new account, uploaded a backup gedcom, and started over with media uploads and hint linking.

Then Ancestry contacted me and helped restore access to the old account.

My dream is to be able to one day download both of the trees, one from each Ancestry account, with all media preserved, merge them together, and then upload the final product to one existing account and use that account going forward.

Could this dream become a reality? What software can do this?

Thank you, and regards to all.

---

John

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

Like many of us, you need to wait to seethe much-anticipated Ancestry Sync for RM before a confident answer to your question can be given.

I anticipate that the Ancestry Sync features will allow you to separately download each of your A.com trees to their own new RM database. Then you can merge those databases within RM, and re-upload to A.com

Sounds easy, and it will be, once a bunch of folks havesomeexperience with the new features and can answer new user questions.

Hang tight !! It's coming !!

#3 jmcb_edw

jmcb_edw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Hi Zhangrau,

Thank you for the message, I am wondering if there is any updated information on this?

From the FAQ it looks like Ancestry Sync is progressing and will be available for an update to RM 7 once testing is complete.

Thanks,

John

#4 BRM

BRM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

Won't know for sure until the syncing capability is done, but will it sync media as well as the tree and sources?  I know media cannot currently be synced with FamilySearch.

#5 jmcb_edw

jmcb_edw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

Well it looks like FTM passed a restricted beta and is expanding TreeSync to a couple thousand more testers Monday, 19 JUN 2017.

Their notes specifically state that they do not use GEDCOM (presumably some sort of XML / XSLT code generation solution that's more compatible with databases).

According to some of the commentary, it handles media sync properly on all endpoints (multiple people / multiple computers) transparently.

Presumably the RM 7 team will act soon after FTM is stable. 

So the choo-choo is coming 'round the bend.

#6 jmcb_edw

jmcb_edw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

I see the new release is out and the feature list looks very impressive.

My problem (again) is that I have two Ancestry accounts, with multiple trees, and differences in metadata and a few errors among them.

With several hundred people it is a real bear to click, compare and merge through it all using the Ancestry.com web interface. I finally surrendered and left the trees up and my subscriptions expired.

So my hope is to buy this software and see it actually :

-Allow import and merge of trees from separate Ancestry accounts

-Allow upload of final tree to an Ancestry account

-Allow export of  the final tree to static HTML (might upload to a password protected area on my web server)

-Allow export of the final tree to many printable formats (for loved ones who need a hard copy)

The feature list looks promising, much of the language appears to support my needs.