• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KittyCity

KittyCity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

The people who took over FTM failed me. Their conversion of my 2014 FTM file to 2014.1 did something to my database and I had to upload it to them for repair. The returned database loaded no problem but it no longer would flag a duplicate entry and they were unable or unwilling to fix that issue, so, I switched from 2014.1 to RM7 a few days ago. Bought RM7 and exported 2014.1 to FTM 2012 and imported it into RM7, no problem. 39K plus people.

After using this a few days, I really do not like the main screen view of this program very much.  The BEST screen interface for me was FTM 2005, where you had a text based list that showed the person/spouse info, and under that a list of their children and their basic info. Above the person/spouse were the names of their parents.  You could easily click on any of the children, or the parents, to refill the screen fields with the data you needed to work on. And then you could easily click a reverse arrow to step back the way you came one screen at a time. It worked great.

Sometime after 2005, FTM changed to the main screen view that most all FTM people know, icons took the place of the text fields forcing you to click an icon instead of an arrow next to the names. Not as handy for me but usable. But unless I am missing something all too obvious, RM7's main view for me is awful. I cannot easily see a couple's children on the screen. And when I click on the arrow to move the screen to the left where I would expect to see them, I see one. Is the only way RM7 displays children is when you click on a person and then click on the family icon?

#2 KittyCity

KittyCity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

Oh yea, another thing I am missing is how when you closed FTM and then reopened it, it automatically went to the person you were working on when you left. RM7 goes to the home person every time?

#3 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

1 Help>Search>sidebar

2 Help>search>File Options

#4 KittyCity

KittyCity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

Found it, I am better now.

#5 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2391 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

But unless I am missing something all too obvious, RM7's main view for me is awful. I cannot easily see a couple's children on the screen. And when I click on the arrow to move the screen to the left where I would expect to see them, I see one. Is the only way RM7 displays children is when you click on a person and then click on the family icon?

RM has two views on the screen at all times. There is a main view and a sidebar view. Well, you can make the sidebar view go away, but I suspect that most people seldom do so. Several of these views have options that list the couple's children, and there are ways to have the couple's children to be visible at all times if you so choose.

There are several different options for the main view - Pedigree, Family, Descendants, People, WebSearch, and Timeline. There are tabs that you can click to switch quickly between these options. It's really easy to switch back and forth. All the options can be very valuable, and I suspect that a beginner would want to stick primarily to Pedigree, Family, and Descendants. Both the Family option and the Descendant option show the couple's children.

There are several different options for the sidebar view - Index, Family, Bookmarks, History, and Groups. The default is Index and I suspect it's the one that most people use most of the time. I use all the different sidebar views from time to time, and it's really easy to switch back and forth. I'm sure that opinions will vary, but the sidebar option that I find most valuable most of the time is the Family option and it displays all the couple's children. One of the reasons I like the Family option in the Sidebar so much is that it makes sure that the couple's children are visible no matter which option I'm using in the main view.

Jerry

#6 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2391 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

Tools->File Options->Start person when opening this database->Last person from previous session will open up with the last person from the previous session.

Jerry

#7 KittyCity

KittyCity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Thanks

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

I work most often in Family View with the Sidebat Index.

Tools > File Options > Starting view.... > Family View

Sometimes I switch the main view to Descendants orPeople view. I rarely use Pedigree view.