7 replies to this topic

#1 purple

purple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

Hi Listers,

I've been working with Cina in support and we have come to the end of our knowledge.

I am importing a file from TMG 9.05.  

I did a fresh install of TMG and of RM

I ran the database maintenance tools in TMG and imported into RM and ran the tools again.

Everything proceeded normally.

In RM I try to create a named group of all the person in my tree (to replicate the related tag in TMG) and the the program hangs at the point of tagging people. Cina and I have both tried the import with the same result.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can try?  I assume there must be something in the way my TMG database is constructed that RM doesn't like. I would welcome any input. 

Jane Neuman

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2391 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

When you try to create the named group of all the persons in your tree, what do you do exactly? I'm assuming you get into RM's marking dialog. Do you then say "mark everybody", or whom do you try to mark?

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5183 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

If you ran the RootsMagic database tools on the imported database, there is little more you can do within the program. A suggestion is to drag'n'drop everyone into a new database and try it.

Otherwise, a close examination of the database with a SQLite manager might uncover the cause of your problem.

Tom user of RM7221 FTM2014.1 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 purple

purple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Jerry:  I select myself in the tree and then choose mark everyone in this person's tree.  My data has 45000 names and there are many in it that are not related to me.  I also tried marking just my husband's tree which would be substantially fewer people.  Neither worked.

Tom:  Cina (from support) also suggested I try the drag and drop.  That didn't work either. Nothing from the old tree would drag.  

I also tried today to do a gedcom export from TMG and then an import into RM. Ran the database tools. Same results when I tried to mark a group.

I have no idea about SQLite or what to do with it. 

I am most distraught! I have years of work in my database and now it seems to be stranded. I would highly value any suggestions or advice. Please!

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3211 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Jerry:  I select myself in the tree and then choose mark everyone in this person's tree.  My data has 45000 names and there are many in it that are not related to me.  I also tried marking just my husband's tree which would be substantially fewer people.  Neither worked.

Beyond choosing is clicking upon the square box to the left of names, then a checkmark will appear for that individual. Are they working ? Subsequent individual selections or Mark criteria will also cause new checkmarked individuals.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5183 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Some suggestions:

1. Ask Cina (Tech Support) if they would receive your TMG file and try to import it - ideally, get the RootsMagician to look at it.
  2. Contact Jim Byram, in this Forum via PM, or on the TMG-REFUGEES-L group. He is a TMG superuser and very knowledgeable about importing to RootsMagic et al.
  3. I suspect the problem is in your TMG data, possibly one or more loops where someone is his own ancestor. Ideally corrected at the source - in TMG.
  4. If all above fails, maybe I can salvage something of your RM database by examining it with SQLite.

Tom user of RM7221 FTM2014.1 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2391 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

It doesn't help solve the problem, but I would observe that marking your tree or marking your husband's tree will have exactly the same result and will mark the exact same number of people. Marking your tree in RM is not the same thing marking your ancestors or marking your ancestors and their descendants or anything like that. Rather, marking your tree in RM will follow every spouse, parent, or child that's connected in any way to each other. So for example, your cousin's spouse's former spouse and your cousin's spouse's former spouse's parents etc. are all in your tree.

It does sound like your database has some sort of loop in relationships that RM is not detecting properly and that therefore RM itself is getting into a loop or something like that. But perhaps instead of marking everyone in your tree in the sense that RM means it, you really need to mark all your ancestors and all their descendants. There is an option in the marking dialog to do so. Doing it that way, the number of people marked for you would almost certainly be very different than would the number of people marked for your husband.

Jerry

#8 purple

purple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Jerry and Tom:

Thank you for helping me.

Your hint about there being a circular reference in my file turned out to be the problem! I had set up a pseudo person named "unplaced" to set as a father to a bunch of unconnected pieces of the same surname. This allowed me to quickly find the ends of an connected group. After I deleted the parent/child link on these everything worked smoothly!

Thank you, thank you!