11 replies to this topic

#1 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

(Moderators, feel free to move this as needed, or if already heavily discussed, point me to the discussions - thank you!)

Howdy, first time here, just joining this group of addicts and others (chorus of "Hi Rob") ...

I imagine there are many besides myself with both an Ancestry tree and a RootsMagic tree, and thinking ahead as to what we will need to do.  I understand when the upgrade happens (trying to wait patiently!), I'll have a choice of either creating a new Ancestry tree from my RM tree, or creating a new RM tree from my Ancestry tree, and then attempting to merge them, and finally produce one tree only, available on both Ancestry and RM (at least that's the goal).

But the big question is whether it will be easier to merge the trees on the RM side or the Ancestry side.  I suspect our beta testers may already have some insight on this, and I'd love to hear from them.  I imagine there may be small compatibility issues, on one or both sides, that may dictate which way will be best.  Or the tools to do the merging may be better on one side or the other.

I'd love to hear from others with any relevant experience.  I did my tree work on my Fathers side on Ancestry, and on my Mothers side in RM, and now looking forward to merging the two trees together.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

I don't think Ancestry has any tree merging capability so we would have to do so on the RM side.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

Thank you for responding.  I have to say I find it surprising that Ancestry can't merge trees.  I'm sure there are a number of users that have started several trees there, then changed their minds and decided they wanted to consolidate them.

Another question - what is the latest info on how complete the data transfer is, in both directions.  That is, if I create an Ancestry tree from an RM tree, what do I lose?  And if I create an RM tree from an Ancestry tree, what do I lose?  What I would hope for is complete two-way equivalence, sufficient to take a tree one way them bring it back, and it be exactly equivalent (at least I think that should be the ultimate goal).  That would include not only the basics of the tree personnel and their data, but also all relationships, sources, source linkages, and media.  Am I dreaming?  To what degree will that be possible, and what handwork may still be needed with every transfer?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Until we get to try RM-Ancestry TreeShare, all we users can do is speculate. My best guess is that there will be considerable loss for a database rich in RM special features when uploaded to Ancestry. Things such as shared events, place details, source templates, research logs, etc. So a round trip starting from RM is liable to result in a very different database on return from Ancestry.

I think that a round trip originating from Ancestry should suffer less loss. But time will tell...

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Mad dog

Mad dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

There are some videos in the Facebook RootsMagic Group page that may give you some idea of what the TreeSync and RM is going to look like. Bruce did the video at the St. Louis Genealogical Society event a couple of weeks ago. It's a real head turner ;)

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

Coincidental with this discussion is one in the FTM Facebook group which cites a page "Family Tree Maker compared to Ancestry trees when using TreeSync". While TreeSync itself is dead, I suspect that similar issues will arise in FTM's FamilySync and RM's TreeShare, both of which must work with Ancestry's API.

#7 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

I present the results of my research with GedSite and in printed reports, so I'm not interested in synchronizing with Ancestry. Will there be any other changes or fixes to RM7 in the forthcoming update, other than the addition of Ancestry synchronization?

Robert

#8 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

Until we get to try RM-Ancestry TreeShare, all we users can do is speculate.

I was hoping that by now beta testers were talking!  ;)

My best guess is that there will be considerable loss for a database rich in RM special features when uploaded to Ancestry. Things such as shared events, place details, source templates, research logs, etc. So a round trip starting from RM is liable to result in a very different database on return from Ancestry.

I think that a round trip originating from Ancestry should suffer less loss. But time will tell...

So a tentative plan for merging an Ancestry and RM tree would be:

- Create RM tree from Ancestry tree

- Inspect and fix new RM tree

- Merge RM trees

- Inspect and note anything that is RM specific, likely to be ignored/skipped in transfer to Ancestry.com

- Create Ancestry tree from merged RM tree

- Inspect and fix Ancestry tree

Then maintain both, keeping them in sync.  By this time, should have a list of differences, and manual tasks that need to be periodically performed on each, to maintain as close a sync as possible.

I appreciated your SQLite links, will almost certainly be using them.  For now, WikiSpaces is not letting me join, returns the singularly uninformative "Try again", over and over again (I'll 'try again' another time).  But don't need to join to learn from and use the tools.

#9 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

There are some videos in the Facebook RootsMagic Group page that may give you some idea of what the TreeSync and RM is going to look like. Bruce did the video at the St. Louis Genealogical Society event a couple of weeks ago. It's a real head turner ;)

Coincidental with this discussion is one in the FTM Facebook group which cites a page "Family Tree Maker compared to Ancestry trees when using TreeSync". While TreeSync itself is dead, I suspect that similar issues will arise in FTM's FamilySync and RM's TreeShare, both of which must work with Ancestry's API.

Thanks for these!  I'm a long time computer geek, but never got the social media bug, no FaceBook here.  Are those videos and pages available elsewhere?  I've seen the RootsMagic blog page with images of what's coming.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

The FTM vs Ancestry via TreeSync page is at https://support.mack...-using-TreeSync

#11 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

The latest update on the FTM-Ancestry TreeSync is here https://support.mack...SE-OF-FTM-2017

April 20 results show that only 94% of their beta testers were able to successfully sync and Ancestry has to make more changes as well as FTM to fix identified problems.

Most software vendors make beta testers agree to a non-disclosure agreement which is probably why we haven't heard anything from beta testers.

#12 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

Thank you both!  Both reports were very helpful, very interesting.

Just my opinion (some related experience) - while it's possible they will be ready to release by the end of the month, I'd have to say there's a good chance there will be a little more slippage.  That old 80/20 rule (or 90/10) may come into play - 80% of the issues take 20% of the time, the last 20% take 80% of the time spent.  In other words, there's often a few last problems that are the hardest to figure out.