• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SteveFlynn

SteveFlynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'm having trouble importing residence information from MyHeritage Family Tree Builder 8.0 to RootsMagic 7.0 (both latest builds).

The following extract from the GEDCOM file looks correct to me but only the date is showing in RootsMagic as part of a residence fact.  There are no errors in the LST file.  Any suggestions?

1 RESI
2 _UID 57c0b80910ca71e6834e6cf0495c52f5
2 RIN MH:IF34
2 TYPE ADDR
2 DATE 1935
2 ADDR 570 City Island Ave
3 ADR1 570 City Island Ave
3 CITY City Island, Bronx, New York City
3 STAE New York
3 POST 10464

3 CTRY United States 

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

I have a vague recollection of issues with the RESI event structure. On the surface, your snippet of GEDCOM looks okay but the draft 5.5.1 standard warns of incompatibility:

! Event Structure: The address structure, as part of the place structure, provided more detail than desired for the PLACe structure. Therefore it was removed from beneath the place structure and added to the <> structure at the same level as PLACe. 

The standard RM7 Residence fact type sentence template is:

[person] lived< [Desc]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< [Date]>.

Note that there are no fields for ADDR, ADR1, CITY, STAE, POST, CTRY so the import of those fields would have to map them to [Desc], [PlaceDetails] and [Place] for them to be saved and outputted.

Even the example of a GEDCOM transmission in the draft 5.5.1 standard omits all of these tags except ADDR:

1 RESI
2 ADDR 73 North Ashley
3 CONT Spencer, Utah UT84991
2 DATE from 1900 to 1905

It is probably an example that predates 5.5 because of the modifications reported for it:

! Added tags for storing detailed address pieces under the address structure

! The following tags were added: ADR1, ADR2, CITY, NICK, POST, SPFX

What that and the way RM exports to GEDCOM suggests that RM wants to see something like:

1 RESI
2 DATE 1935
2 PLAC City Island, Bronx, New York City, New York, United States

Edited by TomH, 13 April 2017 - 09:02 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Because this is a GEDCOM question I will put my two cents into the fray.

Their are two ways to look at addresses in GEDCOM v5.5.1

First:

The Address_Structure guidelines say the following:

"The address structure should be formed as it would appear on a mailing label using the ADDR and the CONT lines to form the address structure. The ADDR and CONT lines are required for any address. The additional subordinate address tags such as STAE and CTRY are provided to be used by systems that have structured their addresses for indexing and sorting. For backward compatibility these lines are not to be used in lieu of the required ADDR.and CONT line structure."

Therefore as Tom indicated I would not use any tags other than ADDR and ADDR.CONT

3 CONT City Island, New York City
3 CONT USA 99999-9999

This would be the prefered way to record addresses as indicated in the first two sentences above.  You are allowed up to 3 occurances of CONT thus giving you 4 lines on your label.

Second (less popular for many, but great if you want to copy and paste into Google Maps)

2 PLAC 570 City Island Ave, City Island, Bronx, New York City, New York, USA