7 replies to this topic

#1 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

I would like to create several groups, each one consisting of descendants from the most distant ancestor of each line.  Is this possible without having to add each group member one by one?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Select your start person when creating the group. Then under Mark Group you can select "Descendants of highlighted person". It will give you more options after that.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

You have to do each group one at a time.

Jerry

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

You have to do each group one at a time.

Jerry

I probably wasn't very clear. You have to do each group on a one group at a time basis, starting with each most distant ancestor. Within a group, you can add the group members all at one go as Renee described. You can include spouses, so you usually don't have to start with each most distant ancestor. You can start with either member of a couple and go from there.

Jerry

#5 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Renee &a Jerry, Thank you.

#6 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Select your start person when creating the group. Then under Mark Group you can select "Descendants of highlighted person". It will give you more options after that.

I'm trying to create a group (so I can export it to a GEDCOM) of descendants of a particular person. I create a group, select my starting person, but I find no option for selecting "Descendants of highlighted person"

I attach a screen shot. Dang. I can't upload a screen shot. Sigh. I have to upload it somewhere. Mm... there's a "My Media" but when I click on it, there is no option to upload a file. harumph.

Okay, without a screenshot: Please advise. Thanks.

#7 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

Found it. 

It's not obvious. 

Once you've created a new group, and selected an individual, you have to click on "Mark Groups" in upper left corner. It's not obvious because it's already checked, so it's not clear that it's something you'd click on in order to see a drop down menu. But when you do click on it, there are options for what to mark, including descendants of highlighted person.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

It's not obvious. 

It is also doesn't start at the "correct" person. Namely, it starts at the first person in your database in alphabetic order rather than starting at the person you are on in the main RM view.  I hope future RM versions address both issues.

Jerry