• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Can Roots Magic users expect a special discount pricing offer from Ancestry to entice us to sign up with the new compatibility on the horizon?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:20 PM

Can Roots Magic users expect a special discount pricing offer from Ancestry to entice us to sign up with the new compatibility on the horizon?

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2996

I already have RootsMagic 7. How will I get these new features?

TreeShare for Ancestry and WebHints will be in a free update to RootsMagic 7, expected to be released sometime before the end of April. When you run the software, it will check for any updates via the internet, download, and install them. We will also send out an announcement via blog, mailing list, and celebratory dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:26 PM

But we will still need a paid Ancestry account to make full use of the integration, and that's the deal I am asking about.

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:59 AM

I would guess that this is a "Wait and See" issue as any discount offers would have to be made and funded by Ancestry though its 'software partners'.  

No discount is being offered to new purchasers of MacKiev Family Tree Maker at present, beyond the software discounts MacKiev is offering, so why would anyone expect a 'better deal' for RootsMagic users. RM7 is, of course, already scheduled to get the new Ancestry Sync feature without its users having to purchase any software upgrades so that is, technically, a bonus for users.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

Compare the price of a full RM license to the Ancestry World Explorer subscription. That's what you'd need to be sure that ALL of Ancestry's hints and links are available to the RM user. The smaller one will not have the influence needed to dictate anything to the (much, much, MUCH) larger.

#6 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

While using RM, we often go to our local library which has a Ancestry license because its a Geneogy research facility. So, while using their internet connection, we can get into Ancestry.com just like if we had a license...EXCEPT..., there are areas, when you really start drilling down for information, that will pop up and say you need to have a personal Ancestry account to go further. Personally, for our needs, weve found FamilySearch adequate for documents like censuses, some military, and such. My $0.02

#7 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

Definitely, FamilySearch is an incredible source so I use that the most especially for images of records. However, there are things on Ancestry, MyHeritage, Geni, WikiTree, etc that it is difficult or impossible to get anywhere else. Mostly that photos of people that you may have never seen. I have subscriptions to all of them now.

By the way, a lot of libraries will let you use your card number to login to Ancestry and other sites, but the access is somewhat limited. If you are on a budget, definitely check with your local library. Those resources are free and often great. For example, we have full access to Lynda.com here, and we don't have to go to the library to do that.