12 replies to this topic

#1 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Having had no success whatsoever in printing a wall chart to PDF for printing at an office shop, when the opportunity arose to grab a 24" HP DesignJet T120 large format printer, I grabbed it.

Ironically, I still cannot print a single chart from a roll.  I only get multi page charts in preview.

Could someone provide step by step procedures for configuring and printing a wall chart?

I am getting very frustrated.

Thanks

#2 bgellisshapiro

bgellisshapiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

I don't know how step by step I can do this, but see if this helps.    With the wall chart open make note of the dimensions, length and width.  Then start the print process, selecting PDF.  Open the preferences for the PDF and locate the option to select the paper size.  You will need to create a custom paper size based on the dimensions you noted earlier.  Once created, select that custom size and then send the chart to print.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

http://forums.rootsm...pdf-wall-chart/

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the help[.  However I am still not getting the desired result.  Here is what I have done:

My chart is 30.1458 x 19.4896.  I am using windows 10/64.

1.  Downloaded cutePDF.  

2.  Tried to make it my default printer, but windows would not accept it.Adjusted the page setting using Postscript Custom (the only custom I could find).

2a.  Tried dimensions 200x200 ; and later 200 x 20 and 31 x 20

3.  Created the chart.

3.  Within RM chart, selected CutePDF as my printer and verified the page settings.

4.  Printed the Chart.

5.  Opened the chart via a PDF reader, and still got multiple pages, always 8.

What am I doing wrong? or what am I missing?

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

https://www.thurrott...nter-management

https://www.howtogee...-in-windows-10/

http://www.cutepdf.com/Support/faq.asp
How to add a custom paper size?
Go to Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes. Choose Server Properties command on File menu. Add your paper size on Forms tab. Then, please select exact matched paper size (and orientation) during printing (in print dialog box, click on Properties -> Advanced).
On Windows 7/8, please go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Print Management -> Printer Servers -> %computer name% -> Forms. Click on Action menu -> Manage Forms to add the custom form.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

Thank you to all who have given me help and answers.  I am getting real close.  I just have to tweak paper sizes.

#7 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Okay, my tweaking is not working.

chart size:  23.30 w x 24.10 h.  Orientation right to left (most distant ancestor on the left side).  My chart is printing out nicely, but for one issue.  One full box and half of six other boxes (the last ones on the right of the chart) are printing out on a separate page.

I initially had the page size in CutePdf set to 24x20.  I've adjusted page size sing 200x200; and 24x30 and there is no change in the chart printing, except that with the higher settings, I get multiple pages (8 in total).  I've also adjusted the page size from within Chartform to no effect.

Does anyone have an idea as to why I am having this issue?

#8 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

I am still having issues CONSISTENTLY formatting a wall chart to send to my printer.  This makes me wonder if maybe my system is causing problems.  I am running RM7 on a Mac using Parallels.  Does anyone know if this could cause issues?

#9 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

If you're "running RM7 on a Mac using Parallels" you're running RM7 on Windows. The issue would be with your windows drivers if you're printing to PDF since you're not really doing anything that involves Mac OS. (if you were printing to a printer there's a possibility the USB driver could have an issue, less so if you're printing to a network printer).

#10 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Thanks. I guess I was grasping at straws. I'm must be doing something wrong and it probably is a simple thing. I just can't get any consistent results that follow a pattern.

#11 danslater

danslater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

I feel your pain Robert.  I tried for hours to do the same thing in RM.  In addition to your page problem, I kept finding incorrect lines joining people yet my data is perfect.

Finally tried another solution.  Downloaded the free Gramps sotware. https://gramps-project.org/

Exported a full GEDCOM with Media links from RM, and imported it into Gramps.

Within 30 minutes of learning the software and testing it's charts, I had created a beautiful 36" x 24" PDF of the "Family Lines Graph" wall chart with photos of each person, and a file ready to take to Staples for printing out.  And every joining line between family members was correct.

I will continue to use RM as my database, but sure like the Gramps charts slick setup, and for free no less.

#12 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:32 AM

Thanks, I will take a look at gramps.

#13 Miccline

Miccline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Danslater, I have followed your suggestions as I was having the same issue as RobertL and for the most part it worked beautifully.  But for some reason my media files won't import.  I have checked the settings and can't figure out why.  What settings did you check to insure media files were imported?   The line graph turned out awesome (just without pics).  :-)   Thanks, in advance.