• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yarrow

yarrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

I have many folks the have many facts, example like different birth dates, that I would like to merger so they do not show up on reports with several birth dates in a list.

OR...

On Family Tree Maker I could make certain facts "primary" to show up in reports. I don't see that type of ability in Roots Magic.

Thoughts or ideas?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:38 PM

Each fact in RM has a primary flag and a private flag.

RM's primary flag seems to impact only reports such as pedigree reports that inherently include only one fact of each type, and it selects the one fact of a given type which is to be displayed in such reports.

RM's private flag allows facts to be suppressed on narrative reports. The logic is sort of backwards to FTM. In RM you would flag all but one fact of a given type as private. Then the one not flagged as private would be the one that's printed. So think conceptually (but not actually) of having every single fact in your whole RM database flagged as private, and then conceptually (but not actually) unflag the one fact of each type that you do want displayed. In practice, you would only do this sort of thing for the cases where you have multiple and conflicting facts of the same type for a given individual.

RM does not have an equivalent facility for a primary name. All names are printed in a narrative report. I believe I have seen a message somewhere suggesting that RM8 will have such a facility for printing only primary names as an option, but I'm not sure about it and please don't hold me to it.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:46 AM

This subject comes up repeatedly and there has been many previous discussions, one on the link below.

In short, no way to merge these duplicates at present, but it is hoped for in a future version, I know personally as I develop my research and merge individuals I end up with facts of various degrees of proof and certainty, being able to highlight these side by side and make clean up decisions would be very beneficial.

http://forums.rootsm...-a-ftm-refugee/

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 yarrow

yarrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

Thanks guys.... still on a learning curve with RM7

You're the best.

#5 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

I created a Birth-Alt fact type that I use in addition to the Birth fact type.  That way, I can always see on screen the various birthdates I have evidence for, but only the one I consider most accurate shows up in reports and charts.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

I use just one Birth Fact for each person(showing the date I feel to be most accurate), and use the Notes to describe whatever discrepancies I've found.