2 replies to this topic

#1 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

Is there a way to use "search and replace" for Source List titles for sources that are basically duplicated because of the way they were entered? (I have many many sources).

Example:

U.S., XXXXXXXXX, or U.S. XXXXXXXX   vs   US XXXXXXX

These type of entries make selecting an existing source difficult because of the way that they sort.

[sloppy entry housekeeping....I know :wacko: ]

To individually change them is very time consuming. "Search and Replace" does not seem to give you any options for sources.

After editing them I would then also be able to merge duplicates.

Any help/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

I do this type of cleanup by manually editing the errant Master Source names so that they appear sequentially under my preferred name & spelling. Then I manually merge them. One consideration is that any notes in the Master text - Source Text or Source Comments DOES NOT get merged using either an Automatic or Manual merge. Those need to be manually copied from the errant master source items into the compiled master source item.

Also, I am a bit leery of using automatic merges. They offer a potential speed up of operations, but reduce my input. I don't think I'm OCD about it, I just don't want to make a merging mistake that becomes a nightmare to undo.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

You could use a SQLite manager to do bulk modification of source names.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: search and replace?, Sources