3 replies to this topic

#1 ketchell

ketchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

I would like to confirm my assumptions about searching in RM as TMG refugee. I'm cleaning up my sources and looking for search and replace options.

I looked at the Find Everywhere command. Can this be restricted? For example, if I want to search for Ancestry.com only in a source field. Is that possible?

I looked at the Search/Replace command. There is no option to search sources that I see. Is that correct? For instance, is it possible to search for all sources where website=Ancestry.com and replace with Ancestry?

Thanks for your guidance. Debra

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

You are largely correct.

Find Everywhere cannot be restricted. And it doesn't find really everywhere in RM. It finds most places in RM and is is extremely useful, but it doesn't find in all possible places you might wish to search. Also, some of the Find Everywhere searches give you little or no context about exactly where something has been found. Search results for citations are especially limited in this regard because you can see the citation but you cannot see the context of what person or event the citation is connected to.

Sources and citations can be searched indirectly through the standard search mechanism. But what you are really searching for are people, namely the people who have source and citation data corresponding to your search. You can search on the name you have given to a source. You can search on the source and citation notes (two kinds of notes for sources and two kinds of notes for citations) - memos in TMG parlance. You can search on footnote and bibliography sentences - on the sentences as they will ultimately appear, not the data that you enter that will make up the sentences. When any of these searches succeed, they will stop on a person satisfying the conditions and you will still have to search through the person by hand to find what you were looking for.

Boolean logic is available, but it is very incomplete. There is AND and OR but there is not a NOT, and parentheses are not available for multiple search criteria.

There is no way to force multiple search criteria (e.g., place and date) to be applied to the same fact. A search for census place containing Texas AND a census date of 1860 might return a person who was enumerated in the 1850 census in Tennessee and in the 1860 census in Texas.

Jerry

#3 ketchell

ketchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation Jerry. I wil continue to do clean up in TMG and TMG utilities. Delays moving to RM except as a conduit to GedSite for a while. Will see in next RM version offers more search functionality. Expect not as appears focus is Ancestry Sync.

I know you are also experienced with SQL utilities. Maybe that is an option for search and replace? Or search and change?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

I know you are also experienced with SQL utilities. Maybe that is an option for search and replace? Or search and change?

SQLite is good for searching and reporting, and also good for searching and updating. The former is extremely safe. The latter requires some care. Tom is the absolute best resource on SQLite.

I often use SQLite and RM in conjuction, running a query in SQLite, making corrections from the RM user interface, rerunning the SQLite query, etc. - back and forth  between SQLite and RM. I try to avoid SQLite updates, but sometimes nothing else will do.

Jerry