• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mapaquette

mapaquette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

I have been trying to edit the "Birth Fact Sentence Template" to show the parents of the named person when a narrative report is printed. I came across this template today somewhere in the forum - 

<b>[person:given:surname]</b><%<, son of <?[father]|[father]|> <?[father]|<and [mother]>|[mother]>,>|<, daughter of <?[father]|[father]|><?[father]|<?[mother]| and|>> [mother],>> was born< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:short]>.

Most of it works, however it does not pull up the names of the father and/or mother. All that is shown is:

John Smith, son of [father] and [mother], was born on 1 January 2000, in Boston, Massachusetts

The above name/date are fictitious - however, I would appreciate some input to fix this so that the parents names would show.

Thanks.

MAP

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

For that sentence template to work, the event has to be shared with the parents and the father has to be assigned a custom role named "father" and the mother..."mother".

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Dear MAP,

Tom is right. When I originally put that template forward I hadn't realized that it would mess up the RM7 narrative reports. If you look at the rest of the thread in which the template was discussed you'll see what the problems were. I've abandoned the effort for now;  I'm hoping to see the RootsMagic report formats revised in Version 8 when it comes along.

Robert

#4 mapaquette

mapaquette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

For that sentence template to work, the event has to be shared with the parents and the father has to be assigned a custom role named "father" and the mother..."mother".

WOW! Thanks. That worked. Simple when you know what you are doing, right?! 

MAP

#5 mapaquette

mapaquette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

Dear MAP,

Tom is right. When I originally put that template forward I hadn't realized that it would mess up the RM7 narrative reports. If you look at the rest of the thread in which the template was discussed you'll see what the problems were. I've abandoned the effort for now;  I'm hoping to see the RootsMagic report formats revised in Version 8 when it comes along.

Robert

Thanks for your input. It does mean a little more work to set up a narrative and I have to be careful to watch that I don't mess up the profiles that I do not want to change. I still love RootsMagic!!

MAP