8 replies to this topic

#1 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:17 AM

I have created a blood line database following my family name as far back as I can. I have captured all the family members and their family offspring inside the database. I record the respective spouses but stop when that spur finishes the family name.

I hope that makes sense. Just wondering if Root Magic 7 supports such a database? I have tried to created the basis of what I want but I am struggling to work out how to input my database in the structure I am looking for?

I have 12 generations thus far, starting with a couple an the database feeds from there. I was hoping to start the RM7 input from there however you need to start from a single name. I want to start from a couple and only follow my family name ( recording spouses and offspring).

I then want to be able to post the family tree up online so I can have relatives login and look at the tree.

Am I able to achieve the above result? Hopefully I haven't jumped in where angels fear to tread!

Cheers,

Fleetz

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

Yes, you can with RootsMagic with the exception of the private website. The RM hosted one is public. You could export a GEDCOM file from RM and upload it to some family tree website host that does support your privacy goal.

You start by adding a person and then add a spouse to form your starting couple. Or you add a parent. The order in which you add people is unimportant because you can change linkages.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

RM is very flexible. I'm working on a surname database, trying to enter everyone I can find with my surname (or one of about 80 spelling variations). I often enter single individuals, or small family groups, because I don't at that point know how they link to my main tree.Later, as I find more info, I can link those people into the main tree. RM allows us to start with the youngest generations and build backwards; to start with the oldest generations and build forward; or even start anywhere in the middle and build both forward and back -- whichever you have info for that you want to get recorded.

#4 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Thank you both for the positive replies. Reassuring to know that RM offers that flexibility.

I started a journey on my family name about 4 months ago and am using MS Publisher to record my database. I am using generation numbers and I understand the structure and can flow it, however as I have found more and more ancestors and relatives it is becoming harder I would think others to understand. Currently it is 15 x A4 pages.

So what I am hoping to achieve with RM is to be able to generate a graphical tree that becomes more logical to follow. I would like to be able to print the tree out on my A3 printer and include that in a hard copy presention I am working toward. I like the database form I am currently doing so I can add colour to what our tribe did on their life's journeys. So I see the database and graphical RM tool complimenting eachother.

Does RM7 support large A3 print outs? Multiple pages that link back to adjoining pages? Ultimately it would be nice to be able to get the who tree printed out on one document by a printing house for a family reunion down the track. Be nice to hear of printing experiences.

Cheers,

Fleetz

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

I have created Wall Charts (both Ancestor and Descendant style), then Exported to Targa (*.tga). Open the TGA file in Photoshop to resize the canvas and adjust the border margins, then re-save as a PDF. Commercial printers (in retail office supply stores or as printing & copying shops) usually have roll-feed printers and can readily print a job up to 48" x 12 feet - some can go even larger.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

Yes, you can with RootsMagic with the exception of the private website. The RM hosted one is public. You could export a GEDCOM file from RM and upload it to some family tree website host that does support your privacy goal.

Actually, the RootsMagic 7 Publish Online websites can be password protected, making them private. You go to the settings online to set it up, after creating the website. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Thanks very much all for your encouraging comments and input, it is appreciated.

The large printout suggestion zhangrau sound good, I happen to have photoshop albeit an early version 6 from memory, never found the need to upgrade as it has done everything I need, so I should be good to go there. Plenty of printers here in Adelaide, South Australia that look to be offering roll-feed printing.

Renee will look into your suggestion which sounds good, I am probably a ways off publishing online via a website but definitely one of the end game plans after I get my head around generating the RM7 database from mine,

I am still winding in a dozen or more family names and trolling through what seem to be endless online scanned newspapers which has and continues to be a great source of family I didn't know exist and what they did in there lives. What I call colour.

So I have just tinkered with RM7 at the moment and want to work out firstly what it can and can not do which you folks have helped greatly with and now to work out the best method of generating my RM7 database.

I am want to make sure I am set up correctly and understand how RM7 best works with inputting the family data. If I understand firstly all the jargon (Eg GEDCOM what the hell is that? ) and the correct way to enter data so 200 odd names entered I don't find out I should have done X or Y and have to back track to clean the RM7 data up. 30 years ago I would have ripped in and made lots of mistakes, now I wait, ask, listen and learn.......like an old grasshopper.

Can I ask some more basic setup questions?

Currently I have only downloaded the RM7 program not the place, mapping thingy. Is that optional download important and needed on my journey with RM7? Would like to make sure I am properly set up before I start seriously entering my data.

Are the RM7 must see tutorials that will help me grasps the basics so I can understand a step be step setting my system up and how to understand the way in which to input and manage the data going into RM7. Is there a if you watch this and that instructional tutorial that will switch the lights on my ever diminishing grey cells?

Thanks again for your patience and being kind and gentle with this 60 odd old newbie.

Regards,

Ian

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

You will want to download and the Place Database Installer. It will help with mapping and keeping your place list current. There are some reports that also use the Place Database. 

For setup this webinar is good.

6. Working with Files and Folders in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

For an overview of the program and getting started this webinar is good. Some screen will look different. It just means it has been updated after the webinar was made. In a later webinar we cover the changes.

1. Getting Started with RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Renee I will tune in.

Hopefully the learning curve will flatten out.

Regards,

Ian