2 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

I ran into a claim 3/7/16 from Michael Booth that you could import all FTM files directly including mac files. When I repeatedly tried this with my FTM file it gives an error message. I have the latest FTM update and RM7 mac update.

Is this a known failure with current FTM files?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

The MacKiev FTM 2014.1 version cannot be directly imported into RootsMagic like the Ancestry version could. MacKiev has changed the format. There is a work around to get a direct import.  This Knowledge Base article will walk you through it.

http://support.rootsmagic.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000779007-Importing-MacKiev-Family-Tree-Maker-version-2014-1-or-later- 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Simple and Slick! Thank You.

I have a small FTM test file that I am using to learn how to use the program with Ancestry. The latest MacKiev FTM mac is now a fast stable app and makes it so easy to add facts with sources, citations and media.

A RM7 gedcom failed to import to FTM but the reverse works fine. However, a direct file import is better and keeps the media links.

I find RM7 offers different and sometimes better ancestry web search results and I want to be able to return to RM7 if a mac version ever becomes available.