• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldBob

OldBob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

I have an individual who shows both of his parents twice on his individual report, and his parents' family sheet also shows him twice.  Both sets of details about the duplicated person are identical on the parents' family sheet.  A search of duplicates does not show him as a duplicate, and a manual scan of the list of people in the tree show him only once. The tree was originally linked from ANC to FTM 2014.1 then imported into RootsMagic 7.  How do I eliminate the extraneous relationship between he and his parents?

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Have you tried running File>Data Base tools? Reboot and run all options in sequence then try your individual report again.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Open the Family View with him as a child. Do you see him linked twice to the same parents?

In the upper left corner is the info box. In the Parent row do you see 2 listed?  If so then you might have duplicate links to the same parents, but on different family groups.

Do the parents have more than one spouse on their spouse indicator buttons next to their names?  

Let us know what you find and we can tell you how to fix it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 OldBob

OldBob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

In the Family section of his father's data it shows "Spouses:3"; we think he had only one.  Clicking the little down triangle next to Spouses I see 2 listings of "unknown" and having 0 children.

I suppose there is a way to remove them.  

My second concern is that what other little goodies got messed up it the transition for ANC to FTM to RM?

Bob

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

Switch to the other spouses to see what the family groups look like. It's easier to tell if you have the record numbers showing. Go to Tools>File Options>General>Number to display after name and select Record Number (RIN). 

You can right click on a person and select Unlink>From Parent or Spouse. 

If the parent doesn't have a spouse, but a child is linked to them, it will create a family group with an unknown spouse. When you unlink the child the family group should be gone. If you need to add a child to another family group use Add>Child>Select existing person.

You can also right click on a parent and select Delete>Family - then keep the default setting to Unlink Family Members. At the bottom of the screen you click Delete. It will remove the family group, but them everyone in the database. 

This webinar goes over all the linking issues and how to fix them.

40. Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic