2 replies to this topic

#1 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

Been adding a new fact type and the sentence is starting with <person>   but when it runs in the persons data sheets it does not display the name of the person.  All the facts that are built in have the same <person>  as the first word & seem to work.    Have tried <[person]> and <Thisperson]> did not work the first time.  

Stopped writing this post and went back Tried <[person]> this way again and it worked.????  Then I put <Date> in the front position of the sentence and did not work, but added <[Date]> and it worked.  So there must have been a change in the way the software works.  Fine with me.  Just thought I'd better say something.

My new fact type is !CensusFind    Using the Desc to put what dates are missing. Then I have a good RL, Research Log, for updating census records.  Part of my Do-Over Genealogy...   :)    Sentence reads:

<[Date]>, <[person]> needs Census records <[Desc]> <[Place]>.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6651 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

I think you were remembering it wrong Nettie. The sentence template have always needed the [bracket].

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2420 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

I think you were remembering it wrong Nettie. The sentence template have always needed the [bracket].

Correct. And indeed, there are cases where you might not really need the <angle brackets> at all. For example, your sentence could conceivably just be

[Date], [person] needs Census records [Desc] [Place].

Variables are in [square brackets]. The only function of the <angle brackets> is to omit everything inside the <angle brackets>, including omitting any punctuation inside the <angle brackets>, when the variable inside the [square brackets] is null. I usually include the <angle brackets> out of habit because they do no harm when they are not needed, but they often are not really needed.

Jerry