• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andyp

Andyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

I have noticed that the Roots Magic sort does not always use the standard ASCII sort table where characters (space, +, - ) are in ascending sequence.

When printing a list of source documents, sorted by file number, the above characters are sorted in the sequence (space, -, +).

If I define a custom report and include individuals, sorted by reference number, the above characters are sorted in the sequence (-, space, +).

So, as you can see, the position of the 'minus sign' in the sequence does not conform to standard ASCII and is even inconsistent within RM. The reason that this inconsistency matters to me is that I use a fairly rigid filing system where I use an individual's reference number as part of the source documents. For example:

Individual with ref 05-0006 may be associated with birth certificate BRT-05-0006

Spouse may have ref 05-0006-S and be associated with birth certificate BRT-05-0006-S

First child may have ref 05-0006+1 and be associated with birth certificate BRT-05-0006+1

This means that sources are printed in the 'correct' order: Individual, spouse, child

But custom reports are printed in the order: Spouse, individual, child

I am certainly not asking for RM to revert to standard ASCII as I would then need to change all my reference numbers, but would it be possible for RM to use the same sort table throughout?

Regards

Andy

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6086 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

I daresay you cannot expect such uniformity to come out in RM7. Given that RM8 was said to require a major rewrite on a new development platform, we might hope for it then.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

This is a totally wild guess. I haven't investigated, but I wonder if the problem might be that the minus sign isn't always a minus sign, but in some cases might be something like an em-dash or an en-dash. If so, the character would sort differently. The reason for the wild guess is that the initial version of GedSite (a third party product not associated with RM, but it reads GEDCOM) wasn't handling RM's sort dates correctly when they were hyphenated (e.g., 12 Jun 1936-1 vs. 12 Jun 1936-2). The problem turned out to be that the GEDCOM produced by RM was using em-dashes instead of hyphens in sort dates. Again, a very wild guess that this might have something to do with your problem.

Jerry