• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldBob2

OldBob2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

I have always used the narrative report style for descendants as modified register.  This type shows a person like John Smith (-1 Harry Smith) but separates families by generation.  If I change to the descendants type outline (indented) the family is together and others like this format and find it less confusing but I miss the trail of a person in the (-1 Harry Smith) etc.  Is there a format that keeps families together and still shows this feature?  I hope I have explained correctly..I am always still learning.

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you are after. There are five types of narrative descendant reports (really, I think these five reduce down to only two basic types), and all five of them support the John Smith (-1 Harry Smith) thing which is called uplines. You just have to enable the upline feature for it to appear.

When I say that there are really only two basic types, I mean that there is the register type and the outline type.

• Within the register type, there are two sub-types - NGSQ (modified register) and NEHGS (register). These two subtypes have very minor differences in numbering, but otherwise are pretty much the same.
  • Within the outline type, there are three sub-types - outline, Henry and D'Aboville, These three subtypes have very different numbering systems, but otherwise the format of the three is essentially identical.

I don't quite understand your comments about keeping families together or not. From my perspective, it is the register type that keeps families together and the outline type that separates families. For example, with any of the three outline sub-types, the youngest child in the first family in the report is likely to appear at or near the end of the report, far from his or her parents. For that reason, I use the register types. I agree that the outline types are easier for the casual reader to understand, but I don't like families being split up.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6850 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

To enable the uplines feature in the Narrative Report Settings click on Options, and check the option "Print uplines (John-3, Joe-2, Al-1)"

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 OldBob2

OldBob2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

I guess most of my family are causal readers and they found it hard to follow their particular family unless it is all together like in the modified register.  I am currently running for them the outline (indented) and Renee  I did go to options and the box for print uplines is checked but no uplines appear.  They only appear in the modified register format.  Darn, I was hoping it was an easy fix.  Any other suggestions?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6850 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

There are two types of Descendant Narratives: Register and Indented.

The Register style will number each descendant in consecutive order. The number doesn't automatically connect them back to their parent. That is why you have the option for uplines to appear.

The Indented uses a number system where it will identify the parent if you follow them. I believe that is why you do not see uplines in this style because the number is showing the upline in a sense.

Maybe what you could do is use the Publisher and include a descendant list along with a narrative report so your family can make a quick reference back to the line they are looking at if they get lost. 

Renee
RootsMagic