3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

I would like to see a tool which would automatically pick the earliest instance of a temple ordinance and remove later ones of the same ordinance for the same individual. 

I would also like to see where ordinances are recorded in RootsMagic that are not recorded in Family Search transferred correctly and fill in the blanks, so "pending" ordinance work is not repeated unnecessarily. I have thousands of files like this.

What is the protocol to get these items corrected in Roots Magic and Family Search? 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

FamilySearch has online the earliest instance of the temple ordinance. These are the only ones displayed on the Ordinance tab in RootsMagic's FamilySearch Person Tools. They are considered the official temple dates.

I remember when we worked on the Ordinance tab flow in the FamilySearch Person Tools. It became very clicky and labor intensive if we gave each ordinance a popup where the user had to tell what to do with it, like you do with adding a birth or other facts on the Share Data tab. To move multiple ordinance facts at one time made for a better user experience. There isn't anyway we can say oh you have one of those fact already lets just delete and replace automatically. Not every user wants that to happen. We don't want to force users to delete things they don't want to. It needs to be an option. So what you are asking sounds nice, but this is the reason why what you are suggesting is not part of the design. We will continue to revisit it. We know what you want, we wanted it to, but we have to make sure all users are accommodated. Right now the best option is to move only the dates you need over. If you select all then you will need to click the Edit Person button on that screen and delete the ones you don't want. We did mark the new ones added automatically primary.

FamilySearch will no longer allow patrons to upload their ordinances to the Family Tree. They are only considered official ordinances if it is in the Temple API. So if you have ordinances that they do not have, then you need to contact support@familysearch.org for them to investigate what happened. One of the things they want is a scanned copy of the temple card with the dates stamped on it. I believe they can also go by the ordinance date and temple code but that takes longer. Otherwise the record of that ordinance is no longer available and it will need to be redone.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:58 PM

In RootMagic I have multiple entries for same temple ordinances for many files with the same dates. I think what happened is due to multiple instances of temple ordinances completed, instead of removing the later dates, all dates moved to duplicate the earliest instance and did not get cleared. Is that a correct assumption? If so, can a logic path be generated to clean up those "extra" instances in RootsMagic? 

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

If you are adding ordinances from the FamilySearch Person Tools Ordinance tab they will come in as new facts. It won't over-write any that you previously had. So you will need to delete them if you want an earlier date.

To clean them up you can use the Fact List to find "People with more than one of this fact type". In the drop down list select each of the LDS Ordinances. Save it as a PDF and work off of it to clean them up.  Just print one LDS Ordinance at a time because I'm sure you will clean multiple ordinances for the same person. 

Renee
RootsMagic