• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mgbaird

mgbaird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

I recently found a spelling mistake in a Citation. I found the 35 instances where I had used the citation using Search Everywhere but I had to make the correction in each one individually. Correcting the Source only implements the correction in future uses of the citation. It would be helpful to have Search and REPLACE everywhere - not just on some lists or fields. Thanks

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

My solution for your problem with the same typo in 35 copies of the same citation has been to switch over to completely split sources. RM divides sourcing data into two parts - the Master Source part and the Source Details part. These two parts of often called the "source" part and the "citation" part. By completely split sources, I mean that I put 100% of the sourcing data into RM's Master source and I leave RM's Source Details completely blank. That way, if I have the same typo in 35 copies of the same citation, I can make the correction only a single time in RM's Master Source and the correction is made made instantly to all 35 copies of the same citation.

FTM has a feature called shared citations which I believe solves this problem for FTM users. I believe I remember a post where it was stated that RM was going to adopt this feature in RM8. But I'm not an RM developer, just a satisfied user, and I really don't know what's going to be in RM8.

I should point out that it's not just typographical errors or other spelling errors that have this  problem. Before I split my sources as described, I would sometimes forget to link a media file to a citation before memorizing it and pasting it. I would then end up with 35 different places where I had to go back and link in the media file.

Most RM users are loathe to split their sources as I have described, and there are good and valid reasons not to be quite so extreme as I am about the splitting of sources. So I do hope that RM8 has something available to assist with this problem, whether it be Search and Replace Everywhere or Shared Citations or whatever it might be.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic