Photo

2 non-family principals - workaround? (TMG migrant)

TMG Principals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TennGen

TennGen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

I've tried searching the forums and never found anything that addresses my issue. I'm a recent immigrant from TMG. Still doing extensive work within TMG to prepare for RM import, but my question is: Has anyone from TMG found a suitable workaround in RM for situations that require two non-family principals? 

My examples are things like deeds, court cases, etc. where you have two people who are "equal participants" but who are not related.  In TMG I had these people labelled as Principal 1 and Principal 2, often with Principal Roles such as Grantee, Grantor or Plaintiff & Defendant. I have over 100 of these dual principal events in TMG, and don't have any idea at all how best to prep these kinds of events for import. Any suggestions/experience?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:37 AM

Have you read http://files.rootsmagic.com/TMGDoc.pdf ?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TennGen

TennGen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Yes, TomH. Thank you. That document is exactly how I learned that 2 non-family principals was going to be an issue for me. I was wondering how others had dealt w/situations where there is a need/desire to have 2 non-family principals and how they solved the problem when both individuals are equal partners in an event, like deeds and court cases. 

About the only thing I have been able to come up with as a potential solution is to create two different Events, such as Deed-Grantee and Deed-Grantor and so I would select which Event to use based upon which party my person-of-interest was in that transaction. It is critically important for me to be able to distinguish whether a person was selling land, or buying land, so having two different Events (so I can create the appropriate sentence for the Principal) might be my only option. 

I'd really like to know how others have worked with these sorts of 2-person non-family events in RM, regardless of whether they are coming from TMG or not.

#4 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

I'm not a TMG user.  I think in GEDCOM.

Because I deal mostly in Genealogical research for clients when a person in my database purchases or sells a property the Event would be setup as for them as a custom event.   

In GEDCOM terms:

1 EVEN Purchase

2 TYPE Property

2 PLAC

2 DATE

2 NOTE I use a note to document additional information about the purchase like: Price, Acreage, Description, From who purchased.

If a person sold the parcel then I would use the same EVEN.TYPE but with Sold rather than Purchase.

Same would be true for any other event that was important to this person, like:  Jail Time, Trips, etc.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

If, in TMG, you could ensure that all Deed Principal 1 persons are the Grantors and Principal 2 persons are the Grantees, then the imported fact type will have the principal role Principal with the "grantor" sentence and the witness role "Principal2" with the "grantee" sentence. You can change the role name "Principal2" to "Grantee" but you cannot change "Principal". Try an import to see how it works.

If you don't like using "shared events", an event with "witness" roles as this would be, you could convert them to individual events without witnesses using my SQLite script at Facts - Split Shared to Individual

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TennGen

TennGen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Great suggestions.

KFN -  What you've described is pretty much how I thought I might have to go on this. Glad to know you've done that and it works to make those distinctions between Grantor & Grantee as Principal in separate Events.  What you've described in Note is exactly how I was using Notes in TMG, too, so it sounds like I'm on the right track.

TomH - Thank you. Alas, I was not consistent in Principal1 always being Grantor, Principal2 being Grantee. I actually had Roles assigned and used Roles more than Principal, and chose as First Principal whomever I was related to, rather than than always making it the Grantor, for example. Still, I think going back and making everything consistent as you suggest will help. I've been using TMGUtilities to change lots of Roles to Principal in other Events, so I may just have to do that here, using the pattern that you've described.

I really appreciate both of your suggestions. Still interested in hearing from others, as well, about your own experiences. Thank you.

#7 TennGen

TennGen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Any recommendations or experience about whether fixing this as per KFN's suggestion (basically splitting into two different events, based upon role/action of Principal) is best done before or after import into RM?