• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShiroPlum

ShiroPlum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

Maybe this has been answered and I just haven't found it.
I recently purchased an iPad with the intent that it would replace my PC. However, I can only find a "read-only" app version of RootsMagic. Apparently there is a fully operational MAC version. Would would the MAC version work on my iPad?

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:38 AM

Maybe this has been answered and I just haven't found it.
I recently purchased an iPad with the intent that it would replace my PC. However, I can only find a "read-only" app version of RootsMagic. Apparently there is a fully operational MAC version. Would would the MAC version work on my iPad?

No.

Unfortunately, that is the case. The app is just a means of having read-only access to your RootsMagic data, but that data has to originate from and be created by RootsMagic on a Mac or PC.

#3 ShiroPlum

ShiroPlum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

That's really not good to read. Any idea if there is any hope for the future?

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Two issues seem to be dominant:

1 - The app is free, and free products re (very reasonalby) going to be limited in which features of the the full product are included

2 - The operating system of an iPad is not the same as the iOS used on Mac computers. At best, that implies a different compilation of the source code, at worst, the OS may not even support some software features. Such was the case for the WindowsRT system, which was not software-compatible with full versions of the Windows OS.

#5 Mantet

Mantet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Are there any plans to upgrade to a editable iPad version? I know it takes a lot of work to create one and certainly it would be logical to charge for it. I just really like the layout of RootsMagic and don,t like the thought of having to switch programs just so I can edit with the iPad.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

Development is aware people want an editable app. If we have one it will be after a rewrite of the full RootsMagic program which will make developing an editable app on our own a possibility.

Renee
RootsMagic