• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 drmorris45

drmorris45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

RootsMagic allows you to include URL's of your sources but does not transfer those sources to FamilyTree when you add the source to FamilyTree using the add source feature.

Is it possible to the program to add the source or is that limited by FamilyTree.  Currently, I am editing the source on FamilyTree and adding the URL's or using "RecordSeek" to add the source information.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6589 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

FamilySearch limited how many fields we can send with the source. We can send everything on the Citation Tab, on the Master Text tab you can send the Source Text box only and the first WebTag.  If its not in one of those fields then it isn't being sent to FamilySearch. Hopefully they will open up what we can send to them through the FT API. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

FamilySearch limited how many fields we can send with the source. We can send everything on the Citation Tab, on the Master Text tab you can send the Source Text box only and the first WebTag.  If its not in one of those fields then it isn't being sent to FamilySearch. Hopefully they will open up what we can send to them through the FT API. 

Is there a reason why you are sending the WebTag from the Master Source Text. The only way this would be useful is if you are doing extreme splitting or if you were fine with just including the domain or link to the database for a particular source. Not a link to the actual record itself. 

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6589 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

The WebTag matches the Master Text - Source Text field that we are sending on that same tab. This is also how the WebTag imports in from FamilySearch.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 anzenketh

anzenketh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

The WebTag matches the Master Text - Source Text field that we are sending on that same tab. This is also how the WebTag imports in from FamilySearch.

This is because on FamilySearch there is no Source and citation. There is only source. Due to this FamilySearch by it's nature does extreme splitting vs lumping. However RootsMagic is unsure on if it is a extreme splitter vs a lumper.

Problem is for the people who lump they have no way of sending over their citations to FamilySearch partly because the text  get mangled for the same reason why GEDCOM is. Could you please make it easier for the people who want to lump by supporting choosing what URL to send over rather then again creating a situation to where we would have to do extreme splitting of all of our sources. 

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6589 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Dickie268

Dickie268

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

We can send everything on the Citation Tab

Hello,

In Roots Magic I have added census reference numbers to various sources.  E.g. 1851 Census Form, 1861… etc.  I have entered the reference in the source details so that it will only apply to a specific citation.

I then go to FamilySearch Person Tools, Sources.  The left hand column, RootsMagic Sources list the Census Forms I have entered, but on clicking the blue “More Details” icon the reference number I have entered does not appear and will therefore not be transferred to FamilySearch.

I have managed on some census sources to get this reference number to appear, but most do not appear.  As far as I can see I have set up each census year source in exactly the same way.

(RootsMagic version 7.2.3.0)

See attached picture.

Regards,

Richard

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6589 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

The FT API is limited on the number of fields it will accept on a source. These are the areas in a RootsMagic Source that will map to a field in a FamilySearch Family Tree source.

On the RootsMagic Edit Source screen:

Citation tab - everything

Master Text tab - the Source Text field, and the first WebTag only. The Source Comments are not included.

Nothing is sent on the Detail Text, Media, Quality or Repository tabs.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Dickie268

Dickie268

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:49 AM

I believe I have found the problem.  I had been using the same source for two facts for the same person, the first fact had the source with nothing in the Citation tab and the second fact used the same source with the Page ID, in the Citaion tab, filled in.  RootsMagic takes the first instance of the source to transfer to FamilySeach, therefore my Page ID in the Citation tab was not being transferred.

For example: A person had two events in 1861, an occupation and a census.  The census had a date of 7 April 1861 and the occupation had a date of 1861 which put it on the line before the census.  Both used a source of “1861 Census Form” which I had set up.  However I had not filled in the citation tab for the occupation source so RootsMagic was using this (first) source (with an empty citation tab) to transfer to FamilySearch. 

Remedy:   Ensure that at least the first instance of the source contains the information in the Citation tab that you want to transfer.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sources