• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SuzanneD

SuzanneD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

I want to use the GEDCOM 5.5 standard tag NCHI {CHILDREN_COUNT} in my database, to have a reliable way to mark individuals who are known to have had no children as opposed to people whose descendants I haven't researched.

I can, of course, create a custom fact type for this, but is there any way of linking it to its GEDCOM standard code?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I don't understand your problem. If you know the GEDCOM 5.5 name and abbreviation for a fact, then creating a custom fact is exactly what you want to do. What kind of "code" are you thinking you must link to?

#3 SuzanneD

SuzanneD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

I have tried creating a custom fact called 'Children Count', abbreviated NCHI, but when I export this to a GEDCOM, it appears in the file as generic EVEN-TYPE lines in the GEDCOM, not as a line beginning '1 NCHI <details>'

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

RootsMagic definitely DOES NOT support the NCHI tag.
I searched up a random brief example from the web at https://fr.geneawiki...hp/Norme_Gedcom and added the chunk from 0 @I1@ INDI -> 0 TRLR onto a RM-style GEDCOM containing its typical 0 HEAD -> 1 CHAR UTF-8 topper. Upon import, RootsMagic had only one problem shown in the .LST file:
Unknown info (line 57)
1 NCHI 1

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

I don't think there is any way to accomplish this from the RM user interface. If you are willing to use SQLite, there is a column in RM's FactTypeTable that specifies which GEDCOM tag to use when exporting the particular fact type. When you create a custom fact type, RM populates this column with EVEN. You could change this value to NCHI with SQLite. Having one so, I believe that RM would output the Children Count fact as desired.

Jerry

#6 SuzanneD

SuzanneD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thanks all for your help - Jerry, I will make note of your advice for achieving this with SQLIte. 

On reflection, though, if RM won't import the NCHI tag (which I'd also discovered by editing a small GEDCOM by hand), then many other programs probably won't either. That's a pity, as the ability to record proof of the number of children, where not all of them can be identified (i.e. where you have numbers of children from the 1911 England & Wales census), or positive proof of childlessness, is very handy. At the moment it is all stored in my notes for individuals.

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Make a fact named "No issue".

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

GEDCOM has two places wher the "Count_of_Children" or the NCHI tag can be used, as a fact for an individual and as a fact for a family unit. I don't have any cases where I use it as an INDI fact in my database (non-RM) but I do have it in the FAMily record in several places in my non-RM database. Many times in Norwegian census records I've children that are counted but away at sea or other farms for work are noted as other children. I would be nice to see RM import this from other GEDCOM files.

#9 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

there is a column in RM's FactTypeTable that specifies which GEDCOM tag to use when exporting the particular fact type. When you create a custom fact type, RM populates this column with EVEN. 

Jerry

Where does one find this FactTypeTable showing the GEDCOM tag?

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

By using a SQLite manager to directly inspect the RootsMagic SQLite database.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

By using a SQLite manager to directly inspect the RootsMagic SQLite database.

Totally correct, and I think the following is a non-SQLite way to determine the same thing and that will work in most cases.

For RM's built-in facts, the GEDCOM tag is the GEDCOM standard - BIRT for birth, DEAT for death, etc.

For any other facts, the GEDCOM tag will be EVEN (event) and the "sub-tag" for the EVEN tag will be the name by which the fact is known to RM. If an EVEN tag comes into RM with a new "sub-tag" then RM will create that fact type for you in RM. But the fact type that RM creates for you will not have a default sentence defined. You will have to do that yourself since RM would have no way of knowing what sentence is needed.

Jerry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GEDCOM, fact types