• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SuzanneD

SuzanneD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

I want to use the GEDCOM 5.5 standard tag NCHI {CHILDREN_COUNT} in my database, to have a reliable way to mark individuals who are known to have had no children as opposed to people whose descendants I haven't researched.

I can, of course, create a custom fact type for this, but is there any way of linking it to its GEDCOM standard code?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1480 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I don't understand your problem. If you know the GEDCOM 5.5 name and abbreviation for a fact, then creating a custom fact is exactly what you want to do. What kind of "code" are you thinking you must link to?

#3 SuzanneD

SuzanneD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

I have tried creating a custom fact called 'Children Count', abbreviated NCHI, but when I export this to a GEDCOM, it appears in the file as generic EVEN-TYPE lines in the GEDCOM, not as a line beginning '1 NCHI <details>'

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

RootsMagic definitely DOES NOT support the NCHI tag.
I searched up a random brief example from the web at https://fr.geneawiki...hp/Norme_Gedcom and added the chunk from 0 @I1@ INDI -> 0 TRLR onto a RM-style GEDCOM containing its typical 0 HEAD -> 1 CHAR UTF-8 topper. Upon import, RootsMagic had only one problem shown in the .LST file:
Unknown info (line 57)
1 NCHI 1

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3438 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

I don't think there is any way to accomplish this from the RM user interface. If you are willing to use SQLite, there is a column in RM's FactTypeTable that specifies which GEDCOM tag to use when exporting the particular fact type. When you create a custom fact type, RM populates this column with EVEN. You could change this value to NCHI with SQLite. Having one so, I believe that RM would output the Children Count fact as desired.

Jerry

#6 SuzanneD

SuzanneD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thanks all for your help - Jerry, I will make note of your advice for achieving this with SQLIte. 

On reflection, though, if RM won't import the NCHI tag (which I'd also discovered by editing a small GEDCOM by hand), then many other programs probably won't either. That's a pity, as the ability to record proof of the number of children, where not all of them can be identified (i.e. where you have numbers of children from the 1911 England & Wales census), or positive proof of childlessness, is very handy. At the moment it is all stored in my notes for individuals.

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Make a fact named "No issue".

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

GEDCOM has two places wher the "Count_of_Children" or the NCHI tag can be used, as a fact for an individual and as a fact for a family unit. I don't have any cases where I use it as an INDI fact in my database (non-RM) but I do have it in the FAMily record in several places in my non-RM database. Many times in Norwegian census records I've children that are counted but away at sea or other farms for work are noted as other children. I would be nice to see RM import this from other GEDCOM files.

#9 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

there is a column in RM's FactTypeTable that specifies which GEDCOM tag to use when exporting the particular fact type. When you create a custom fact type, RM populates this column with EVEN. 

Jerry

Where does one find this FactTypeTable showing the GEDCOM tag?

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

By using a SQLite manager to directly inspect the RootsMagic SQLite database.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3438 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

By using a SQLite manager to directly inspect the RootsMagic SQLite database.

Totally correct, and I think the following is a non-SQLite way to determine the same thing and that will work in most cases.

For RM's built-in facts, the GEDCOM tag is the GEDCOM standard - BIRT for birth, DEAT for death, etc.

For any other facts, the GEDCOM tag will be EVEN (event) and the "sub-tag" for the EVEN tag will be the name by which the fact is known to RM. If an EVEN tag comes into RM with a new "sub-tag" then RM will create that fact type for you in RM. But the fact type that RM creates for you will not have a default sentence defined. You will have to do that yourself since RM would have no way of knowing what sentence is needed.

Jerry