8 replies to this topic

#1 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I had a helpful color scheme set up in TMG that I’d like to use in RM.  In TMG I was able to use a custom flag* and populate it with reports.  In RM I’m guessing it woud be a custom group.

I need to isolate three conditions.

1.       Direct Ancestors

2.       Descendants of Ancestors who are not Ancestors (collateral lines)

3.       Spouses of Ancestors and Descendants who are not Ancestors or Descendants

Easy in TMG.  Can’t figure it out in RM.  I tried creating marked groups.  Ancestors was easy to identify. 

Descendants seemed easy.  Selected “Ancestors of Highlighed Person” then “Ancestors and descendants of ancestors”.  Then I unmarked Ancestors only.

However, it also marked people who were married to Ancestors or Descendants.  I don’t know why.

I haven’t figured out how to get condition 2 to work or any procedure for condition 3.

Is there an approach that I’m completely missing?  Is there a way to do this in RM?

Thanks for any input.

Bev

*Unfortunately, flags and their values didn't import to RM in any way.  It would have been nifty if they had moved in to the RM Groups.

#2 bgellisshapiro

bgellisshapiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

I may not be understanding your problem exactly, but I will mention a couple of things that may help.

You can color code people quite easily.  Select  Tools/Color Code People  then use whatever options you want.  If you have the pedigree view open, highlight a person on one end of the ancestor/descendant  tree and the color coding options allow you to automatically color code all direct ancestors/descendants of that person.

You can create groups using boolean logic by selecting Find inside the new group window.  this should allow you too have multiple conditions.

Hope this helps.

#3 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Why, when I selected Ancestors and descendants of ancestors, did it also select non-blood related spouses?

How do I select those same non-blood related spouses separately?

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

I can visualize what you want, but have no suggestions.

Also remember that color coding either in the ancestor or descendant directions; if the propagation hits a person already color coded with a different color, that person will change color.

There is a check box to include spouses or not to include spouses.

#5 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

Color Coding settings allows ancestors, descendants with or without spouses -- however, doing it this way would require me to find all end of the line ancestors and doing a two step process on each one -- possibly invalidating the process because the descendant of one might marry the descendant of another -- and thus the spouses should both be marked as descendants.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

You analysis is correct the only way to do this in RM is to find all the end of the line ancestors.

Color coding in RM is very useful. I used to have a fairly elaborate and useful color coding scheme that was pretty permanent. But I discovered through the years that for me at least it's more effective to have temporary color coding schemes that are specific to a current project that I'm working on than to try to have a permanent color coding scheme.

For more permanent kinds of groupings in RM, the Named Group facility is probably more useful. And you can color code directly from Named Groups. But even with Named Groups, there are a lot a limitations and you can't easily and usefully do quite the same kinds of groupings that were easy in TMG. Perhaps such features might be added in RM8, but nobody knows.

The most needed enhancement is usually called Dynamic Groups, where RM would remember the criteria used to create a group and could reapply the criteria as needed as people are added to your database. For your particular use case, RM also needs enhancements in its marking dialog, particularly in the option where you can specify ancestors and descendants of those ancestors all in one go. For example, suppose that in this option you could specify descendants of ancestors only or descendants of ancestors plus their spouses. Then you could color code ancestors and descendants of their ancestors plus spouses of the descendants as red. Then you could color code ancestors and descendants of their ancestors without spouses of the descendants as green. That would get you ancestors plus descendants as green and all the spouses would be red. That might not be everything you wish, but it would be very, very close. But the option doesn't exist in RM7. Once again, maybe this area of RM could be improved in RM8.

Jerry

#7 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Thank you Jerry.  I suspected as much.

What I'd like to see, in addition to more robust querying and dynamic groups is dynamic color code schemes.  In TMG you can define and save various color schemes based on conditions in the data.  Thus, you can load the color scheme that works best for the area of research you are presently looking at without any problem.  Also, as data is added or changes, the appropriate color is applied automatically.

Bev

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:35 PM

What I'd like to see, in addition to more robust querying and dynamic groups is dynamic color code schemes. 

Interesting that you should mention this because a few years ago I had ambitions of developing such a system for RM. My system would have run outboard of RM but the required data would have been stored in the RM database as a private and user defined fact for each individual. Hence, no structural changes would have been made to the RM database and RM wouldn't know but what the user had typed in all those private and user defined facts by hand. I had the system pretty much designed, but the project faltered on my lack of experience and lack of knowledge of the Windows API - the user interface if you will. I'm an experienced C++ programmer and the back end stuff would have been quite easy, I think. But I write computationally intensive C++ code for the Windows command line (same code will run on the UNIX command line) and I don't have to worry about the user interface, just the answers. But the Windows user interface is a lot of work, and I hadn't yet retired at that time and still had a day job. And now that I'm retired, I find that I'm even busier than ever and that I have found workarounds for the limitations in RM's color coding and Named Groups. So I'll just have to leave it to RM's developers to address these issues.

Jerry

#9 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

I posted this over on the wish list.  

I'm not a programmer, so I'm waiting too.

Bev