5 replies to this topic

#1 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

I have a Marriage fact for myself and my spouse with the following sentence template:

[Person] married [Spouse]<%Spouse%<, son of [Father_of_Groom]<?[Father_of_Groom]|<?[Mother_of_Groom]| and |>|>[Mother_of_Groom],>|<, daughter of [Father_of_Bride]<?[Father_of_Bride]|<?[Mother_of_Bride]| and >|>[Mother_of_Bride],>>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

When I produce a narrative report for my spouse, the parents are shown correctly. However, if I run the narrative report for myself, it lists my spouse's parents as my parents. It seems that the template is used for both people when, in fact, they should be unique.

Is there a way I can modify the template so that the correct parents are reported regardless of which spouse is reported?

Thanks,

Joyce

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Bringing out the core bag of nested switches and formatting them points to an imbalance.
<%Spouse%
  <, son of [Father_of_Groom]
   <?[Father_of_Groom]|
    <?[Mother_of_Groom]| and |
    >|
   >[Mother_of_Groom],
  >|
  <, daughter of [Father_of_Bride]
   <?[Father_of_Bride]|
    <?[Mother_of_Bride]| and 
    >|>[Mother_of_Bride],
   >
  >
Maybe all you have to do is close the gender switch by adding one more ">" at the end of that sequence.

Edited by TomH, 18 January 2017 - 04:07 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Tom,

I took a look at your response and when I made the changes, no difference was shown. However, I did figure out where the problem lies. If both spouses are of the same gender then the erroneous sentence is generated. If I change the gender of one of the people the sentences for both people appear with their respective parents. So somehow, the gender is causing the problem. It would be useful to be able to use the correct sentence template as more same-sex couples are being added to my database.

Joyce

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

I hadn't thought about same-sex couples but, of course, you are using the gender switch to detect Bride or Groom so it cannot work. But I am also surprised that there was no error or problem because of the missing ">" while adding it in does create a problem - I must have miscounted somehow in my transcription.

To have a common sentence for the same-sex Principals of a Marriage fact shared with their respective parents or other related witnesses is probably going to need an enhancement to the sentence template language. Something like a modifier that returns or tests for "husband" and "wife" (using database terminology) on the two Principals of a "family" fact. For example,

-- return True or False:

[Person:husband], [Person:wife] 

or

[ThisPerson:husband], [ThisPerson:wife]

or

[Spouse:husband], [Spouse:wife]

Then with the enhancement of the :husband modifier,  this sentence template should work:

[Person] married [Spouse]<?[Spouse:husband]<?[Parent_of_groom]<%[Spouse], son of|, daughter of> [Parent_of_groom]>|<?[Parent_of_bride]<%[Spouse], son of|, daughter of> [Parent_of_bride]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Note that I have replaced Father_of_groom and Mother_of_groom with Parent_of_groom and likewise for the bride. Parent_of_bride will list all persons with that role.

I'm not sure there is a need for both :husband and :wife modifiers. Only one is needed to test - true for :husband would be false for :wife and vice versa so either :husband or :wife is sufficient and maybe the test should be for :Principal1 or :Principal2 to reduce ambiguity. There might be a trap in using this modifier for a non-family fact - should it return Null and, if so, ignored.

Edited by TomH, 19 January 2017 - 01:38 PM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 JoyceAE5

JoyceAE5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

Tom,

In your response I am not sure whether you are providing a template that can be used now or what it would look like after sentence template language has been modified. Using your sample, it does not work currently.

Joyce

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Tom,

In your response I am not sure whether you are providing a template that can be used now or what it would look like after sentence template language has been modified. Using your sample, it does not work currently.

Joyce

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. That sentence can only work with the proposed enhancement.

Another variation on an enhancement that I proposed some time ago is for the sentence template language to output the relationship between two people that can be accessed via the sentence template variables, e.g., [person:witness3] or [Spouse:relate:Parent_of_groom1] .