• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mijul

Mijul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Is there a way to add a note to an individual of a shared fact?  If I share a fact, i.e. a census record, among all household members, is it possible to add information specific to one individual member without it showing up for every member?  

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8719 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Not that I'm aware of.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Yes, you can add a note to the person's role that is unique to the person. In his Edit Person screen, select the fact he is witness to, then:

click Share

> opens People who share this fact

> select the same person

> click Edit or double click the person's name

> opens Edit shared event

> type in the Note field

> OK ....

The Note prints in reports but is nearly invisible from the user interface (you have to repeat the procedure above to see if there is a witness Note) and is not searchable, not even with "Find everywhere". This is another example of the many unfinished or unfulfilled features in RootsMagic 7...

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

With one exception, I do not use RM's shared facts. The primary reason is that they are not exchanged very well with third party software. So if I were worried what might happen to my data if RM someday went out of business and I had to switched to another software package, or if I were worried about my genealogical legacy if after I'm gone somebody had to take over my data and if they used a different package, then maybe I would prefer not to use RM's shared facts. But even before I realized that there was a problem with exchanging data that's stored in shared facts, I ran into some of the problems that Tom describes in his message. For example, I could certainly share census facts with multiple family members and I could certainly customize the notes as Tom describes. But doing so makes the data virtually invisible and unmanageable in the RM user interface. Also, I quickly came to realize that using RM's shared facts didn't really save me any time as compared to just giving everybody their own standard census fact that was fully visible and manageable in the user interface.

Having said all that, I can certainly see many potential benefits of using shared facts, and I will certainly revisit their use when/if their implementation in RM becomes more finished and fulfilled. For example, I can see benefits of sharing the death of a parent with a child when the the death of the parent occurs when the child is very young. Such events can be very important in the child's timeline, for example if they have to become adopted or become raised by relatives. I would still have to consider the problems of data interchange, and one of the several things that a more finished and fulfilled implementation of shared facts might include could be the ability to export shared facts as if they were real facts.  But certainly the user interface needs lots of work to make shared facts more visible and manageable from the user interface.

Finally, I should mention that the one piece of third party software that handles RM's shared facts quite well is a new product called GedSite which can be used for building very nice Web sites from GEDCOM. (The GedSite vendor is not affiliated with RM).  However, it turns out that RM does not export local customization for the sentence templates that you can can specify for shared facts. RM does export the global sentence templates for the roles associated with shared facts, but not local sentence template customization for individual shared facts.

Jerry

#5 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:06 AM

I have managed some level of workaround for the fact that "RM does export the global sentence templates for the roles associated with shared facts, but not local sentence template customization for individual shared facts".  I have been using GedSite which can pick up the witness's shared fact Note from the Gedcom export, which together with a GedSite witness sentence template (which accesses the shared fact note from RM) replicates the customised witness sentence.  If all that makes sense :-)

Cheers ... John.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

Not that it's particularly relevant to the original question about adding a note to sharee's shared fact - you can do so as Tom described. But I find the user interface for doing so to be very confusing. If you share person A's fact with person B and then go into  person B and edit the fact, you are editing person A's version of the fact. Indeed, whether you are editing person A or person B, if you edit the fact then you are editing the original and unshared version of the fact for person A.

Conversely, if you want to edit the shared version of the fact, you do so from Share dialog within editing the fact, and you can do so from either person A or person B. I think the user interface would be much more logical and easier to understand if when in Person A you were editing Person A's data and if when in Person B you were editing person B's data, period. So to the original question about editing person B's version of the note for the shared fact, with my suggestion you would just edit the shared fact's note from Person B and it would just work.

I realize that the procedure I'm describing could entail more jumping around from person to person than the way it works now, especially if there were not just a person A and B involved with the shared fact but also a person C and a person D etc. But the user interface would be so much more logical and easy to understand.

Well, here's one more variation on my idea. What if shared facts worked exactly as they work now when you are in the original person who actually owns the fact. That way, from just one place you could set up customization of the note and sentence for each sharee. But when you were in the sharee and edited a shared fact, you were editing the note and sentence only for the sharee.

Jerry