• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bgellisshapiro

bgellisshapiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

The color code drop box always opens with red as the selected color.  It would be nice to have the program auto-detect the color of the current person to make coloring new ancestors/descendants easier.  I have a hard time figuring out the name of the colors used.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

I have a hard time figuring out the name of the colors used.

I agree with this comment. I have often wished for some way to query the name of a color for a particular person because some closely related colors can be hard to tell apart. And even if you can tell the colors apart, when looking only at the color it can be hard to figure out the name that RM uses for the color.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

The current person's color name could be displayed in the status bar next to the relationship.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

Not directly related to this specific color code request.

But it would be nice if color coding propagating for ancestors of a person or descendants of another person would stop if it hits someone already color coded.  This should be an option.

It would even be better if such a collision would result in some kind of a checkerboard pattern with both colors.  But this would be impossible.  

What if a collision would change to some third color?  It would help in making wall charts for complicated cross-over family lines.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

But this would be impossible.  

Not necessarily. I have sometimes wished that RM would support multiple colors for each person - call them color1, color2, etc. Then, color1 for a person could be red color2 for a person could be blue. Then maybe there could be a way to show the person as checkerboarded red and blue (or as purple, but I think that gets out of hand). Or maybe you could tell RM to display just color1 for everybody or just color2 for everybody without checkerboarding so that you could have multiple color schemes going at the same time. And maybe you could turn checkerboarding on and off.

Jerry