5 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

I reported this before but maybe didn't explain it very well but since it has come up in discussion here it is again.

Rootsmagic has a reporting criteria to report events near a Place, to me that would include Place Details if not aimed at Place Details, it doesn't work like that. A lot of our family members resided in what is known locally as the Court District or Electoral Ward of Belfast so I want to use this feature to report all events within 2 miles of that area. Despite all the Place Details being geocoded I get no results but when I widen the "within miles of" to 4 miles which then overlaps the geocoding of the parent Place the report contains all the Places and Place Details in Belfast, so this is not a true proximity reporter.

proximity2.png

The problem here is like many cities around the world Gazetteer does not contain the suburbs information like it would for East York, Toronto so under the way this reporting feature works at present (ignoring Place Details which are geocoded) then it is the whole city or nothing.

I wish this could be fixed to work as intended and I would also hope after discussion on changing boundaried that the radius/proximity could be reduced to divisionw under 1 Mile.

proximity1.png

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

The image links in your post are broken. Tried to PM you but there is something amiss with your account.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

The image links in your post are broken. Tried to PM you but there is something amiss with your account.

Thanks my host is down, I will get onto it

Outage currently being dealt with, hopefully back up soon.

Update; 19:33 GMT, host still working to resolve issues so any of my images on any thread will be temporarily unavailable

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8418 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

You will see that the option is to add a Place Name. It doesn't have a field to include the Place Details. They are not included in this report. I have added this an enhancement request. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

The SQLite script I wrote years ago at http://sqlitetoolsfo...vents-KML queryreturns events within any radius of a point whether geocoded to Place Detail or Place. It is just so obvious that this is the way Reporting Events Near A Place should work  and it is so easy to do that I cannot understand why it was not implemented that way at the outset nor why, years later, it has not been enhanced.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

I only posted this again as there seemed to be some belief that Rootsmagic may already contain a Prominity report. It does in respect of Places and wide a wide radius but not Place Details and pretty pointless to select a "within miles of" value of 1 Mile when another Place is extremely unlikely to exist at that distance.

I believe the text of "All Places and Events within" is misleading as to what this report produces, it should simply say "All Places" and whilst on the subject to to inform you the counter can actually go into negative territoty.

I do hope for a proper proximity reporting feature in Rootsmagic 8 which can overcome slight differences in Geocoding of Places and Place Details and hopefully facilitated from an embedded map UI.

proximity3.png

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mapping, reporting, geocoding