• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hi:  A suggestion for an improvement for data entry.  Ancestral Quest has an option for many of the fields used in data entry, such as place names, to repeat the previous entry to the field, simply by hitting the F8 key.  I have moved to Roots Magic but am missing this functionality in Roots Magic.  It is especially useful when entering whole new families who may have lived and died in the same area.  Indeed, in AQ, one can use the F8 function as well to repeat the last saved Note as well.  Seems like a very good feature to me.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 ketchell

ketchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:19 AM

I still use TMG and also miss the speed of using a repeat last field entry F# key in RM. You can go back 10 previous entries in TMG but I would be happy with at least one. Speed data entry is one of the reasons I use TMG as my primary database and import to RM as backup.

Another key speed data entry feature missing in RM is copy fact. In TMG there is a copy tag feature. I rarely used it before RM. It is essential in RM as shared facts are not advised. I am cleaning out my multiple principals tags in TMG to fit the RM gedcom model. There is no copy fact in RM so I am doing all the editing in TMG. If I was entering my data in RM only, the copy fact function would be a critical time saver.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

Confirming those are on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2963 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

Hi:  A suggestion for an improvement for data entry.  Ancestral Quest has an option for many of the fields used in data entry, such as place names, to repeat the previous entry to the field, simply by hitting the F8 key.  I have moved to Roots Magic but am missing this functionality in Roots Magic.  It is especially useful when entering whole new families who may have lived and died in the same area.  Indeed, in AQ, one can use the F8 function as well to repeat the last saved Note as well.  Seems like a very good feature to me.

I still use TMG and also miss the speed of using a repeat last field entry F# key in RM. You can go back 10 previous entries in TMG but I would be happy with at least one. Speed data entry is one of the reasons I use TMG as my primary database and import to RM as backup.

Another key speed data entry feature missing in RM is copy fact. In TMG there is a copy tag feature. I rarely used it before RM. It is essential in RM as shared facts are not advised. I am cleaning out my multiple principals tags in TMG to fit the RM gedcom model. There is no copy fact in RM so I am doing all the editing in TMG. If I was entering my data in RM only, the copy fact function would be a critical time saver.

Both get my vote and for your information previous productivity discussions took place on the link below, every little bit helps;

http://forums.rootsm...uture-versions/

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root