2 replies to this topic

#1 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

1] I entered a place detail for an existing place.

2] I noticed I spelled the place detail incorrectly.

3] I went back to the entry where I spelled the place detail incorrectly and made a one letter correction.

4] I went to the place list and displayed the place on the screen and noted that I had the correct spelling of the place detail and still had the incorrect spelling of the place detail.

5] Fine.  Let's delete the incorrectly spelled place detail.

6] Warning message

"There are events using this place. Are you sure you want to delete it?

7] Result.  It deleted all of the place details [both correct and incorrect] plus the original place name itself.

8] This action was recoverable. It was the first entry of the day and I had not made any other changes.  I renamed the database and restored yesterday's backup.  Went back to the 1910 census and entered the family data all over for the 1910 census.

9]  Conclusion.  Don't do stupid things like deleting a place detail thinking that it only applies to the place detail field itself.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

Based on your description, it sounds like you actually deleted the Place rather than the Place Details. You probably were bitten by what I consider to be poor design on the part of the RM user interface with respect to the Place and Place Details screen. The design problem has been reported before.

You probably went to the Place, saw Place Details in the lower right hand quadrant of the screen, clicked on the Place Detail you wanted to delete, and clicked Delete. Only problem is, you were still in the Place screen, not in the Place Detail screen. So your Delete deleted the whole Place, not the Place Detail. Terrible user interface design. There was actually a warning message about deleting the Place, not about deleting the Place Details, but the user design produces cognitive dissonance because when you click on the Place Details you believe you are operating on the Place Details.

To avoid the problem, after highlighting the Place Detail to delete, you have to click Edit to get into the Place Detail screen. Hopefully, the design of this screen will be improved in the RM rewrite which is presently under way.

Jerry

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

Jerry,

You are exactly right in your analysis of what I did and the needed improvements.

I am glad that I had not done other edits before making this mistake.  Also that there were not many entries in this place name.

John