• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 RLDalton

RLDalton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

I was going to import my new Family Tree file to RootsMagic, This worked with older FTM files, But I am now using Mackiev Version 2014.1, It said that the file is Not a FTM file, If I export the file as a GED File and I try that as a Import the Media is not import Correctly. I need this Feature

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

Mackiev changed the file structure and/or the encryption key with the result that RM7  7.2.2.1 cannot import directly. RM Tech Support suggests exporting from Mackiev FTM 2014.1 to FTM 2012 which can be directly imported.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8415 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Here's a Knowledge Base article on this - http://support.roots...014-1-or-later-

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 ScribblyRoss

ScribblyRoss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hi,

Could I have some support, please?

PROBLEM: Only part of my FTM tree syncs across to RootsMagic (I have been using FTM as a temporary bridge to align my Ancestry family tree with RootsMagic).

RESULT: Whole branches of my family tree are always missing in the synced RM.

APPROACHES: I've tried everything: the recommended FTM>RM sync, exports from FTM with imports into RM (including via FTM12 format and via GEDcom).

The result is always the same - missing major branches of my family tree (usually it's a major maternal branch that goes missing, from what I can see, and I've been having this problem for 12 months).

I did intend to use RM as my working database - my Ancestry family tree has more than 2,600 individuals.

I'm using FTM 2014 v22.0.0.1410 and RootsMagic v7.2.3.0

If you could provide some support I'd be most grateful.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8415 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

It's best to open a support ticket and include a backup of your FTM file and one for RootsMagic. You don't need to include the media in either. Let us know which lines to look at. 

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 JNG30047

JNG30047

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

Scribbly,  I was having a similar problem that got resolved after I compacted my FTM database.  Before compacting, it exported only 80 families (instead of about 12,000).  After compacting, it exported all of the families.  Strangely, the families were fine in FTM even before I compacted.

Don't know if that will work for you, but you should at least try it.

Others:  I miss the ability to be able to directly import FTM files into RM now.  This thread suggests exporting to an earlier FTM version (which will work).  But you might also consider just using GEDCOM.  I've done it both ways successfully but GEDCOM works fine and is faster.  (The new Mackiev FTM version [at least the Mac version] seems to have a pretty strong GEDCOM export (at least after I compacted my file anyway).

Hope this helps.  Can't wait for RM to start syncing with my ancestry.com tree!

#7 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

Yes, I can't import from FTM 14.1 either a backup file or a saved file which makes RM kind of useless. A clunky solution of using FTM 2012 or FTM 2014 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Is there a plan to update RM or just forget about it?

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

Yes, I can't import from FTM 14.1 either a backup file or a saved file which makes RM kind of useless. A clunky solution of using FTM 2012 or FTM 2014 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Is there a plan to update RM or just forget about it?

Your frustration is only partly understandable to me. Being able to migrate data from one program to another is a desire of many researchers. I'm not an RM spokesman, but it's clear that RM is limited by at least a couple of factors: they have a finite number of programmers, and cannot respond to every new user suggestion, nor to every file format change made by their competitors (who may not be cooperative in sharing the details of a new file format).

Two very functional methods for migrating your data, tested and proven by other RM users, have been suggested. Why are neither of these acceptable to you?

#9 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

I should have been clearer. I want to know if RM will be upgraded to allow the importing of the updated FTM versions. If not, then I'll just stick with the FTM since it doesn't make sense to do a "work around" when it isn't necessary.

Old fashion I guess, but if I pay for software I expect it to work.

#10 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

The work around is necessary because the new owners of FTM have encrypted their data base in an effort  to keep you as  their customer and make migration to  another software  platform difficult if not impossible. Roots Magic has figured a way to enable you to migrate your data to their platform, hence the workaround. If FTM would give Roots Magic the encryption key and file layout (like the previous owner gave the encryption key and file layout for  the previous version) I am sure they would update RM7 to be able to  import the native file. Don't be surprised if in the future the owners of FTM remove the capability to export data in the format of the old versions under the guise of an enhancement/update. They are just trying to lock you in as a customer and keep your money coming in because you can't easily migrate to another software platform.

#11 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Bob and I agree. FTM unfortunately does have a history of "protectionism" in the form of not allowing backward compatibility. I certainly don't have any allegiance to them except for simplifying my genealogy work.

Maybe enough complaints to them might change things...I will do that.

All things equal I prefer RM, but I try to keep the research and genealogy simplified as much as I can. Already too many things that I have to jump through. GenSmarts won't work with FTM 14.1 so to use it I have to get it into RM and then import it from there. FTM does have a 'Family Book Creator" (not the one in FTM) and that helps a lot in making books and reports. I've tried the "Personal Historian," but again another step.

Sure would be nice to have just one program do it all, but guess we aren't there yet.

Thanks again fr the observations.

#12 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

Pierson101 said:

Sure would be nice to have just one program do it all, but guess we aren't there yet.

It would be nice to have one perfect program that did everything.  BUT it will never happen because nothing is perfect, and certainly not perfect for everyone.

Some programs have reports that I like and you may not, while other programs have reports that you like and I won't. Some programs have an interface that I like and you may not, while others have an interface that you like best and I can't use.

This is the nature of software,  Functions/Screen Views/ Reports/etc.that make me happy may not make you happy.  So owning multiple programs can be a solution, unless you are lucky enough to be able to "roll your own" software. 

HOWEVER, when programs don't talk to each other, or can't support a common interface 100% of the time (GEDCOM for example), or highjack your data, this puts genealogists in a bind.  If software is not open to the user finding and using the best features of each software program then we all lose. 

For many syncing to A.com is so important that they can't use any other program that may have a better reporting system. For some, data input may be very important, but the reporting features are non-existent or incomplete prevents someone from creating reports that they can send out to their family. 

I would happily own multiple programs if they talked well to each other.  But they don't.  So I am forced to use one program that supports my most important feature and hope that the other features are "good enough".

I 'm off my soapbox now!!

#13 erscolo

erscolo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

It has not accepted ANY Family Tree Maker 2014.1, whether exported to 2012 or any other Family Tree Maker type file.  I put Roots Magic away last June because of this, and I tried it again this evening and still get the same error.  Fortunately I spent only $20 on the program back then, so only that much was wasted.  I do not care who is to blame, that type of discussion has no meaning nor path to solution.  There is no solution, so Roots Magic is being deleted and I will not recommend it to any Family Tree Maker user.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:18 PM

You are blaming RootsMagic for MacKiev's action. FTM2014.1 was changed to exclude other programs from reading its databases. There is a workaround - export to FTM2012 format which RM can read.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 Pierson101

Pierson101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:58 PM

I've had an issue with FTM14.1 for months that they can't/won't resolve. Ancestry keeps moving software around and that doesn't help. I'm hoping that once things get settle that RM will work with Ancestry and I can use it.

All things equal I prefer RM but can't use it until it can interface with Ancestry.

So, no good solutions at this point but things should settle out in a few months...I hope.

So, all we can do is be patient and wait for a winner to settle out of this mess. JMO

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:37 AM

It has not accepted ANY Family Tree Maker 2014.1, whether exported to 2012 or any other Family Tree Maker type file.

The success that others have had with the workaround of exporting to 2012 suggests something is uniquely amiss with your FTM database or procedure. What is the error message you get on trying to import? Have you followed up directly with Tech Support?

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8415 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

If there is corruption (not knowing what error message you are getting) in the FTM file, then try a GEDCOM from your FTM program and import that. It won't be a thorough but it won't mean you have to start over again either. The other option is to find an earlier FTM backup that isn't corrupt and import that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Cross-posting

Could you consolidate this post  with the one referenced below?

There is a post dated March 2016  and it says:

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

RootsMagi 7.1.0.6. will now direct import the MacKiev FTM 2014.1 files. You no longer need to use the export method above."

And yet, another forum issue dated January 2017 says:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

Here's a Knowledge Base article on this - http://support.roots...014-1-or-later- : and the article says you *DO* need to use the workaround export method.

So which is it?  Please clarify which versions of FTM can be imported by which versions of RM and how.

1) Can FTM 2014.1 build 1510 be imported by Roots Magic 7.2.3 and if so how?

2) Can FTM 2014.1 build 1474 be imported by Roots Magic and if so, which RM version(s) and how?

3) Can Ancestry FTM version 22.0.0.1410 be imported by Roots Magic, and if so, which RM version(s) and how?

Thanks in advance!

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8415 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

The very early FTM 2014.1 released (not sure the version number) would still import. But, there are so many updates if someone has 2014.1 more than likely it's the latest one. Simply export as 2012 if you have FTM 2014.1 any version.  If you have FTM 2014 or earlier then use the direct import.

I will close these thread so new discussions can begin and not be confusing.

Renee
RootsMagic