6 replies to this topic

#1 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

In working with my DNA matches, it would be extremely useful if I could generate a kinship list that included only relatives by blood (no "spouses of") and could restrict the list to specific relationships or ranges of relationships, such as 2nd to 4th cousins.  It would also be great if I could restrict the list by maternal or paternal lines, and included, or at least recognized, multiple relationships to the same individual.

An improvement to the relationship chart would also be nice. The format of the chart is great for demonstrating relationships, especially to people who may be new to genealogy.  I would like to be able to create multiple charts to show multiple relationships between two individuals.  After all, according to the RootsMagic relationship calculator, I'm my own cousin ten different ways.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

When your creating a group, or selecting people from a list, the Mark Group button has an option for "Genetic lines of highlighted person".  You can use that as one of your filters.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

There does not appear to be any way to use Groups to filter the Kinship List. Am I missing something?

RM_kinship_list.png

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

You can filter groups by Genetic lines, but not by the Kinship list - two totally different animals,

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

That's what you get by going from your memory. I have added it to the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

Thank you.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

A workaround is to export the Kinship List to a spreadsheet and filter|sort on the relationship to hide the unwanted people. Or this SQLite query produces results ready for a spreadsheet or could be modified to filter out the non-blood relationships: Relationships

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.