• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robren

robren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

I have been adding cause of death into the description field of the death field, but I would like to create a report of the different causes of death for a family line. This would be helpful in determining what types of medical issues run in the family. Is this possible, or would I need to create a separate fact for cause of death?

#2 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

GEDCOM allows a CAUS tag to be applied. I just looked at my RootsMagic and it does not seem to offer the option.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1521 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

You can create a Reports - Custom Report for this task.

Curiously, the drop down for selecting fields is somewhat different than the dropdown for selecting fields in the Reports - Lists - Individual List - Select from list - Mark People- Select people by data fields.

In the Select people by data fields you would select the Death description (aka value)

In the Custom Report you would select the field Death Cause

It would be nice if these inconsistencies would get cleaned up in the latest RM re-write

Another difference:

Using the Individual List report, you could only find out about one cause of death at a time

With a Custom Report like my demo, you get every cause of death (and every individual) in your database

Save those results to a text file and import them to Excel for sorting and processing

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you could set the Select people by data fields to search for

Death - value - is not blank

That would give you a report for only those people for whom a death cause (or any other note) was entered into the Death Description field.

Another important difference:

The Custom Report will only include the info included in the report design (in my demo that would be the Death Cause - Surname - Given name

The Individual List will report EVERYTHING recorded about each of the individuals, and wouldn't be a straight-forward report for analyzing patterns in the cause of ceath

RM_custom_report_death_cause_vs_value.pn

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

Run the report on a named group, i.e., the family line of interest.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 robren

robren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

Zhangrau,

Thank you. You have given me several great options!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Death, cause of death