• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

I just posted on the "Progress on Native Mac" thread (this is not the correct name for the thread, but it's close). Reading the Dec 31/16 post by Miatagirl sets all kinds of alarms ringing in my Mac head. I am considering killing the Parallels program on my iMac which I use to run Windows XP. I have two XP programs left, and RM is one of them. A recommendation might be to just buy the RM 7 for Mac, until the native Mac app is released -- assuming I can find a suitable Mac app for personal finance. I have been using "Money Matters for Windows" and its predecessors for over 20 years, so I am loathe to kill XP -- and hence Money Matters -- until I really have to. So I keep XP alive on Parallels inside the Mac for RM 4 and Money Matters. If the current RM 7 for Mac is as buggy as I'm seeing from Miatagirl, I am very hesitant to buy RM 7 for Mac until the true native Mac app is available.

Comments anyone?

#2 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Dump Parallels before you kill your imac with stress. Rootsmagic 7 mac version works very well and Renee's uninstall and install instructions worked fine for me to get the latest "wrapper" and inside RM7 program.

People who have trouble finding their data files seem to be those who never understood how their files were named and where they were located. If your database is stored inside a windows document folder, you just have to copy or move it to your mac's document folder for RM7 to use it. It depends on how you set up Parallels (share files with mac or not share).

Miatagirl did not correctly uninstall RM7. She needed to get rid of the supporting files left behind.

I am running Sierra and that is where a few  people had freezing issues before a new wrapper and inside came out. RM7 runs amazingly well in it's fake windows xp bottle on a mac. We still need a native version but this is an acceptable solution for now.

#3 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Thank you "Rooty" for taking the time to reply to me.

I am at the place now where I am planning my procedures to remove Parallels from my iMac. Yesterday it somehow lost control of my Win XP and had to be "Reset" in their lingo. All my real problems started when I went to Sierra and had to upgrade Parallels to the latest "Desktop 12". It's been somewhat unstable ever since. I guess to be safe I should download RM7 for the Mac and install it first, so I have my backside covered.

I hate to lose my personal finance program after all these years, but I guess all things must come to an end some time.

Rooty, you seem to have some knowledge of Parallels. I set up in a 'shared' mode originally. Is there anything specific I should be doing with RM to prepare for the switch to RM7 for the Mac?

#4 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

1. in shared mode, your roots data is available on the mac side which is good.

2. You can leave parallels in place for now and just quit it.

3. Find your data (***.rmgc database; ***.rmgb backups, media folder) in your mac's document and or pictures folder. Copy these to a flash or external drive to avoid mishaps. Also be sure your time machine backups are current. Better to waste a little time rather than need these later.

4.Download and install the mac RM7 and use it with your database and media folder for a while. See how it works for you. You need to change the program fonts to helvetica 16 or arial and tell RM7 the path to your folders. Tool - Program and File options. Renee can help you with questions on setting up.

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

Rooty, you seem to have some knowledge of Parallels. I set up in a 'shared' mode originally. Is there anything specific I should be doing with RM to prepare for the switch to RM7 for the Mac?

Just to jump in with some ideas as to how you should proceed. Shared mode in Parallels suggests to me that you RM files are already stored in the Mac filing system. What I suggest you do is create a copy of the folders where you store these files and then point RM for Mac at these new folders. Use Tools - Program Options - Folders within RM to point to these folders as soon as you start RM for Mac. In that way you keep the data separate, certainly initially.

#6 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

Thank you very much Rooty and J P! I will work on these steps.