6 replies to this topic

#1 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

Can Fact Sentence Templates be added to the Fact Types List so that once designed they may be used again in other family trees on RootsMagic? For example, in Fact Type Census I add relationship to the head of the household (spouse, son, daughter, boarder, etc.) whilst working on one family tree, but when I go to another family tree I have to add the Roles again.

#2 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

I've now found that I can add a New Fact Type to the List by creating, for example, Census-son then adding the Role & the Sentence Template to it.

#3 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

The bad news is that the New Fact Types are not permanently attached to the Fact Type List - so that was a waste of time!

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

You must mean something other than "not permanently attached to the Fact Type List". A custom role is as permanent as the database in which it is created as long as the role is not edited or deleted. You can use the function File>Import Lists to import the Fact Type List from that database with the custom roles to another database. Where loss can occur is in transfer of people from one database to another: custom default sentences for built-in fact types and roles are always lost and only those custom roles and custom fact types used by people included in the transfer are carried over AND only if the sharing Principals are also transferred. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

Thank you Tom H. I'll use the File>Import Lists & try again.

#6 allan1932

allan1932

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

I used the File>Import List & found it very useful. However, as Tom H states, the custom default sentences for built-in fact types and roles are always lost. In my case, these were for the roles in censuses such as spouse, daughter, mother-in-law, etc. I'll type the default sentences in a Word document then I can copy & paste them as required.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Another thing you might do is to move all of your separate trees into a single RM database. Rm doesn't have a restriction on this. I have many tiny databases used during research-gathering, but only one main RM database, That main database includes about 400K individuals, and about 17K trees. The "main" tree contains over 380K individuals. Why so many trees? Because when I come across info that I think belongs to my database, I go ahead and add it. It only gets linked to the main tree as I accumulate enoughinfo to give me a sense of certainty about that link. I've used RM for some history projects, for genealogy for friends,etc. and all of those are in the main RM database. I've even been able to find links between many of the smaller trees and my main tree, sometimes years after the early info was added to my file. Maintaining all of the trees in separate RM databases would have made those eventual main-line links much less probable.