4 replies to this topic

#1 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:30 AM

I want to include several pdf files of RM reports in one email, instead of having to send a separate email for each file. I have Outlook Express. I'm sure there is something simple I should be doing!

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

You have at least two options:

1) Instead of creating individual RM reports you could use the RM Publisher. Go to REPORTS > PUBLISHER. The RootsMagic Publisher allows you to create a single document comprised of multiple reports and charts. This document can include narrative books (modified register, etc), pedigree charts, family group sheets, and more. You could then save this single Publisher document as a PDF file and email it.

2) If you don't want to use Publisher, then you could take your existing multiple and separate RM reports and zip them up into one single ZIP file. You need Compression software such as PKZIP or WINZIP. The zip software takes several files and compresses them into one single file which you can email to a recipient. The recipient will then need zipping software also to unzip the file you sent them. ... unless you use your zip program to zip the files into a self-extracting file such as "allreports.exe". When the recipient double-clicks on this file the multiple reports will be extracted.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:11 AM

You can attach multiple files to an Outlook Express email.

But, some receiving programs do not care for multiple attachments.

Zipping them up into one compressed package would be my choice, it will be smaller and go more quickly too.
Alfred

#4 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (iowaroots @ Apr 14 2005, 08:30 AM)
I want to include several pdf files of RM reports in one email, instead of having to send a separate email for each file. I have Outlook Express. I'm sure there is something simple I should be doing!

OK, I didn't realize it was such a basic question (no offense intended, everyone is at different levels of computer expertise). I was thinking that you didn't want to include multiple attachments in one email and so you wanted to know how to combine multiple files into one file. But actually you want someone to tell you how to attach more than one file to the same email.

Like Alfred said, it is possible to attach multiple files to one single email ... you don't need to send a separate email for each attachment.

The exact steps in Outlook is to click on the Attachment button in your toolbar (usually symbolized by a Paperclip). This will bring up a list of files in a folder somewhere on your computer. I don't know what folder your Outlook defaults to. Navigate to the folder that contains your files. Highlight each file that you want to attach by holding down the Ctrl key at the same time you click once on each file. Don't take your finger of the Ctrl key until you are done selecting all your files. Then click on the INSERT button. This will attach each of these files to your email. Repeat this process if you need to attach other files from other folders.

#5 iowaroots

iowaroots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:32 AM

Ah yes, the control key !!!! Thank you for the help. I knew how to do attachments, but it always seemed to make me create a new email for each attachment.

I am happy to learn both ways because now it appears publisher may actually be the best solution. I do appreciate this forum, as the learning process never stops!!