5 replies to this topic

#1 Holly Kilpatrick

Holly Kilpatrick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hi,

I am a new user, converting over from TMG.  I am checking the data in my test import.  I wonder if there is a keystroke to "pop up" a field that has more text than fits in the visible portion of a field.  In TMG there is a keystroke to pop up the field in a dialog box so you can read all the text, wrapped, without scrolling.  I looked for Shortcut keystrokes in Help, but did not see this.

Thanks,

Holly

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

Better not have more than 100 characters in the Description field else it truncates on export! You can size the Edit Person screen so that all or most show. Hover the pointer over the field may popup the full value.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Holly Kilpatrick

Holly Kilpatrick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

Right now I am looking at Sources -- fields on the Master Source list in TMG.  Since I had customized sources, I am grabbing text from fields that aren't on the Source Template, and stuffing it into some field that is on the template and is empty, or appending it to some other field.  Just so I get all the data over there, and I can clean it up at my leisure.  But now you have me worried that some of these fields may truncate -- ?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

I don't think you need worry about fields in sources, just the Description field for a fact/event. That said, there may be other systems that truncate a source field at, say, 256 characters. I've seen Ancestry's wordy citations truncated in its own GEDCOM downloads.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

Right now I am looking at Sources -- fields on the Master Source list in TMG.  Since I had customized sources, I am grabbing text from fields that aren't on the Source Template, and stuffing it into some field that is on the template and is empty, or appending it to some other field.  Just so I get all the data over there, and I can clean it up at my leisure.  But now you have me worried that some of these fields may truncate -- ?

IN Any Source template,

Citation Manager

1. double click the file name
  2. opens Edit Source
  3. After filling in the master text
  4. click on Detail Text :) 
  5. Add your research to Research Notes.

In the past, before they gave us Citation Manager, I used the Notes field for a person with long information and it worked but in the last three years have been moving the information to the Research Notes.  I have some big wills etc... and they fit in this section. Also use the Comment field a lot.

Why? I like where the information is placed when doing a 

1. Narrative Report printout.  
  2. Also gives me another good choice when using the report called Research Notes. [Yes, could copy/paste the sources found on a FGS if saved as a .rtf file,  also but I prefer to do it this way.]
  3. I save that report as a .rtf file
  4. and use it to copy & paste/transfer my working research to my report created in MSWord called GRR/Genealogy Research Report for an individual.  
  5. This has my goals, research journal, finds and to do list in one place and easier for me to work with than the process in RM's Research Manager.

I know each of us work differently, but this is my procedure.. I did not answer the lenght of the fields, but when I split actual research and my comments into the two sections.  Then I had enough room.  Tom H  is probably right on the size.... :P

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#6 Holly Kilpatrick

Holly Kilpatrick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

IN Any Source template,

Citation Manager...

<snip>

I know each of us work differently, but this is my procedure.. I did not answer the lenght of the fields, but when I split actual research and my comments into the two sections.  Then I had enough room.  Tom H  is probably right on the size.... :P

Hi, Nettie,

I was talking about the fields in the source template, rather than the individual citation for an individual.  But I am just learning RM, and I looked up the screens and tabs you are talking about, and it was helpful to see all the options.  At this point, it will be a while before I am entering research in RM -- I have some work to do just to get my TMG data over there.  But I am excited about learning RootsMagic, it really seems excellent.  After so many years of using TMG, and there is a certain feeling among TMG users that other software programs were somehow "lesser", but I am not seeing that at all with RootsMagic!  I am loving what I am seeing.

Holly