• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy Wehner

Nancy Wehner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

I have the Rootsmagic App on my iPad and have saved and synced my file to it through Dropbox. It loads, but takes a LONG time. When I try to move from one individual to another, it literally takes minutes. Unworkably slow. The database is large 92K people and has LOTS of media links. My small files work fine, but they tend to be not only a small number of individuals, but also have relatively few media links.

I talked to Bruce for a short time at NGS (yes this has been hanging fire for awhile as I've been busy with other things) and he thought the problem might not be the number of people but all the media links. He suggested I make a copy of the file without the links (I actually don't care about them for my planned uses for the app), but how the heck does one make a copy of the file without the media links. If you just make a copy of the file, it just makes the copy with no options for what is or is not included. So in this copy that I've labeled Surname Sans Links, how do I get rid of the media links so that I can transfer that to the iPad and see if it runs better?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5491 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

Do a File > Export and uncheck the box beside "Multimedia links". Then import that exported GEDCOM to a new RM database file and sync that to your iPad.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Nancy Wehner

Nancy Wehner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

Thanks. Did that and loaded it to the iPad app. Still not exactly blazing fast, but better than it was with the media links. Guess I might have to consider splitting the file up into smaller family bits with fewer individuals to speed it up some more.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5491 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

Which iPad do you use?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.