• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Annie Laura

Annie Laura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:14 AM

Please forgive a slightly confused new(ish) British user asking what are probably obvious questions.

I downloaded and installed RootsMagic7 during summer 2016. I was previously a user of Family Tree Maker and I peopled RootsMagic with data from that. So far so good.  I have been happily exploring and using Roots Magic since the summer.

Then a couple of weeks ago I opened up the s/w as usual and there was a message saying "An update [note the singular, not the plural] for Roots Magic is now available" and beside it a button saying 'INSTALL UPDATES'.

This didn't alarm me, but I then noticed underneath it a huge list of s/w updates: one for 7.2.00, many for 7.1........, some for 7.0... and even one for 6........  There may be more - I didn't scroll down any further.

So as yet I haven't done anything at all for fear of starting off on a trail of changes I may not want/need, or which may crash the whole program because there are so many of them.

If I need scores of updates (since July????) why have I never been presented with them before?  And if I don't need scores of updates why are they appearing at all? The whole thing makes me very uneasy.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6173 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

If you check Help > About on your RootsMagic, you will see what version you have and then can read the updates supplied in subsequent versions to decide if you want to proceed. It is usually wise to stay current but unnecessary and sometimes risky to be the first off the mark to install an update - after all, updates have been known to break something other than what was fixed or added.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

You only need to install the most recent update within your version, no matter how far behind you are.  Since you have RootsMagic version 7, downloading and installing the current update - 7.2.2.1 - will catch you up.   You do not need to download or install any of the intermediate updates within the version 7 family.    Any any time, you can click Help / Check for Updates to compare your status to the latest available update.

#4 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

Annie, I am up to date with RM7 program changes, and my experience is that the program is very stable with the latest updates.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#5 Annie Laura

Annie Laura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

Thanks so much everyone. I thought I might get an email if anyone answered, but I didn't.  I decided to 'double check' today however and lo and behold, three posts. Am just about to investigate my version and get up-to-date as need be. I'm really grateful and wish you a Happy New Year.