4 replies to this topic

#1 jhgtinker

jhgtinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Hi

When I import my ftm files directly into RM I get spurious entries in my source footnotes. 

For example "1861 Census for Yorkshire (S & N British Data Archive Ltd)" in ftm becomes "1861 Census for Yorkshire (n.p: S & N British Data Archive Ltd,, n.d) in RM"

In other words n.p: and n.d. seem to be added to every source where I have a 'Publisher' entry in my original ftm source definition.

Has anyone else come across this and is there anything I can do about it

thanks

#2 uberdorf

uberdorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:07 AM

Every time I have switched genealogy programs, I have dealt with my sources getting garbled.  It has gotten bad enough for me (I've used gramps, legacy, family tree maker, the ancestry.com site, and now rootsmagic) that now I am just going back over everything and fixing each entry even though I have 2000 people or so in my tree.  I don't know any other way to deal with fixing the sources, but perhaps someone more experienced with rootsmagic than myself has an idea.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

We would need to look at how that source was setup in FTM. You can open a support ticket and include a backup (no media). Tell us which person, fact and source to look at.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

I'm guessing that the source template to which the FTM source was imported is something like a Book template. And that the FTM Source was also in something like a book template. Possibly, you had not filled in all the fields of that template in FTM and what you are seeing in RM is the default values for those empty fields. "n.p." means " not published" and "n.d." is "no date".

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 jhgtinker

jhgtinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:24 AM

Apologies for not replying sooner and thanking everyone for their guidance. I now realise that it will take some time to get used to the differences between FTM and RM and the first step has been to look at the many previous posts that have been made into the many different issues. I now understand the presence of n.p and n.d and have made suitable adjustments to remove them

thanks again for the advice.