Photo

preferred source citation for Ancestry.com databases?

ancestry.com sources citation ssdi

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 robertjm

robertjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to add some new info I got at the library yesterday, while perusing the Ancestry.com

, Library addition.

I've hit a roadblock when it comes to citing the source. Ancestry.com

is good at listing "source citation" and "Source Information" on the bottom of the item's summary page. But, I'm not exactly sure which Source Type to select for records at Ancestry.com.

For the SSDI, there is online and FHL online. But, no Ancestry, online. I also see "Website (with multiple databases)"

Which one are people using to reference items at Ancestry? The SSDI isn't the only thing I'm trying to reference. But, it was the first one, and I got stopped in my tracks right there.

To add more fuel to this, I've got multiple entries for people using a source type of 

"_TMG_Social Security Death Index (SSDI)", which is a legacy left over from my migration from The Master Genealogist into RM7 (though I'd rather not use that going forward since it's a custom tag).

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

I use "Ancestry.com" as a Repository

Then each individual database at Ancestry becomes a Master Source, as in "Michigan, County Marriages, 1822-1940"

I know that many users think it is important to follow the use of different templates for different sources. I don't. You could search the forum to find some previous discussions on that issue. With rare exceptions, I just use the "Book Basic format" template, because it includes the critical info needed to document the source, and to re-find the source if that's ever needed.

I'm also a source lumper, so I have a single source "SSDI - Social Security Death Index" which I use whether I acquired the SSDI info from Ancestry, FamilySearch, or some other listing. Since each organization gets their SSDI info from the same official source, I don't think it makes much difference to have separate Master Sources for SSDI-Ancestry or SSDI-FamilySearch or etc.Source splitters would disagree with me.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

I use "Ancestry.com" as a Repository

Then each individual database at Ancestry becomes a Master Source, as in "Michigan, County Marriages, 1822-1940"

I agree with the above comments.   Another choice from the Source Templates could be 'Website (site with multiple databases)'  I have used this template and I am also a lumper...

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0