• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clzender

clzender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

I use rootsmagic 7 and have been exporting everything to a Gedcom file.  Then, I have been uploading it to the rootsweb.com website very successfully until this past week.  I genereated a new gedcom and uploaded it to replace an existing tree online as I have done for years.  It looked like it was working and I came back to it in 30 minutes only to find it stuck in a "No- its being indexed" stage.  I waited 36 hours and still the same message.  I deleted the tree, created a newly named gedcom and uploaded it.  Still the same problem.  Is there anything I can do to publish my info to rootweb.com?  I published it to Ancestry.com, but the notes section (with all the valuable family history in it) does not get published....that is why I like rootsweb so much in that it took the notes.  So, I generated a website using the rootsmagic app and like what it produced.  However, I don't have my own domain name or publicly accessed server to post it to.  Do you know where I can post my data to the public that will include the notes as well as basic dates and facts?  Thanks.

Christine

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:02 AM

Your ISP may actually be providing you with web space as part of your account. I suppose you'd have to get a domain name. (GoDaddy.com?)

John Cardinal, the author of GedSite & Second Site, has a service called Family History Hosting. He specializes in genealogical material. I'm sure he can help you.

https://www. familyhistoryhosting.com/

Robert

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

rootsweb.com has nearly gone extinct many times in the past, but it has always survived. It once again appears on the brink of going extinct. Whether it will survive this time or not, nobody knows.

In my view, it provides a wonderful service that is not replicated exactly anywhere else. That is, it allows you to post your tree online by posting your GEDCOM, it is free to use when you post your GEDCOM, and it is free to anybody who wants to look at your tree. All the trees that are posted can be searched with a single search. Finally, it has privatization options that are much more flexible than what is supported by most other software, including more flexible than what is supported by RM.

Without advocating for any particular alternative, I do recommend that rootsweb.com users consider identifying an alternative that most suits your needs. myrootsmagic.com is obviously  one possibility, but it is a very different service than is rootsweb.com.  And I would repeat that the service provided by rootsweb.com is not replicated exactly anywhere else.

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

You may wish to wait for the RM7 update for interaction (sync?) with a tree on Ancestry.com. I believe it will host your tree for free but charges for retrievals from its records database. I would expect Notes to be supported under that arrangement.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

It would be best to contact RootsWeb Support to have them troubleshoot the issue with uploading a GEDCOM.

Renee
RootsMagic