• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

How does one import Reunion for Mac gedcom into RM Mac 7? 

I've made a Reunion gedcom and it is saved in Documents folder

I've tried to import into RM, but nothing at all happens. 

Also how sources import - will they be all jumbled? And notes?

Bonnie 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

I don't have much experience with Reunion. I am moving this over to our Mac forum page.

Since it exports a GEDCOM it should import into RootsMagic. Are you getting any type of error message when you do the import?

Sources should come in as free-form sources in RootsMagic. As long as the notes are being exported as notes RM should receive them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:35 AM

How does one import Reunion for Mac gedcom into RM Mac 7? 

I've made a Reunion gedcom and it is saved in Documents folder

I've tried to import into RM, but nothing at all happens. 

Also how sources import - will they be all jumbled? And notes?

Bonnie

In RM, have you set your folder options - Program Options under Tools - to point at the location where you have stored the gedcom file? Ensure that the gedcom folder points to somewhere within your Documents folder - to RM the path to the file should appear to be on the Y disk, which is mapped to your Mac user data.

#4 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:20 AM

I had no problem importing Reunion gedcoms into RM. However, the Sources/Citations were a bit of a mess, primarily because Sources in Reunion are, frankly, a bit of a mess - one of the reasons that I moved to RM.
You just have to steel yourself to doing a lot of tidying up as you go along. The first thing you need to do is get your head around EE citing standards - maybe you're already comforstable with these - and then gradually upgrade the citstions that have come across from Reunion. My procedure has been to enter all new information with "proper" citations, and edit the older entries as I happen to come to them. I realise that I will eventually have to identify the records that still require upgrading, but that's another day's work!

#5 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

Renee, the message I get when trying to import a Reunion gedcom: "Rootsmagic cannot find the file you selected." I also tried to select the file, as I know where it is, got same message. 

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

Does Reunion have any type of database tools you can run on the file before doing the GEDCOM? If so, run them and see if that makes a difference.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Renee, I need more information- please explain:Does Reunion have any type of database tools you can run on the file before doing the GEDCOM

Thanks. 

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Sorry, that is exactly what I mean. Running Reunion's database tools, if they have them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Renee, I will do some checking with Reunion about this...now I'm curious ! Thanks