• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 uberdorf

uberdorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:38 AM

I saw the update this morning and got excited that we could finally sync with our ancestry.com trees, then disappointed that this was not the update.  I bought Rootsmagic about a year ago in the expectation of syncing with ancestry.com trees, and it is almost the end of the year.  Does anyone know how close we actually are?  Please don't say "by the end of the year" because it is already at the end of the year.

My wife uses ancestry.com because she can work on her family tree with her mom and sister in another state, but still control the tree unlike the geni and familysearch trees.  We have had bad experiences with geni especially, and don't want to let other people we don't know change our trees around.  Ancestry.com has a good compromise we think between controlling your own tree and working with a few other people who know the tree well and share the importance of accuracy.  So this ancestry sync is important to us.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

There was an announcement in the most recent newsletter that said the ancestry deadline will not be met and that the ancestry support will be released as soon as it is ready.

Once upon a time - back in the FamilyOrigins days - there was an announcement of a delivery date for a feature and the date was not met. Subsequently, the RootsMagician adopted a policy of not providing anticipated dates for features or products for fear that once again a date might not be met. He made an exception in the case of the ancestry support, and probably regrets making the exception.

But I wish to commend him in two respects. One commendation is that I do think an exception was merited in the case of the ancestry support. Former FTM users were left high and dry by ancestry, and they needed some indication of what was going to be happening in the future so they could plan accordingly. The other commendation is that when problems were encountered in meeting the date, a decision was made not to ship a product that was not yet ready. Lots of vendors would have shipped a product that was not ready, just to meet a date, and doing so is not really a service to the users.

Users have to remember that software development is hard, and I mean really, really hard. The RM developers were working with a totally new ancestry sync interface because ancestry refused to release the old one that was already working. The RM developers couldn't have known exactly when the new ancestry sync interface would be released to them, and there almost certainly would have been bugs in the new ancestry sync interface that would have created problems on the RM side of the house. And there could have been no way for the RM developers to anticipate all the little complexities and gotchas that were in the new interface. So I think the RootsMagician made the best possible decisions in a difficult situation, and I would encourage him occasionally to make additional exceptions to his "don't announce the date" rule when there are exceptional conditions that might warrant him doing so. So I thank him, and I commend him.

Jerry

#3 BrendaH

BrendaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

Agreeing with Jerry.  Software development is an extremely time consuming project.  RootsMagic has to depend upon Ancestry for giving them the API code necessary to make that sync between RootsMagic and Ancestry.  Besides just the API code, I suspect this version will have a lot more enhancements that we haven't previously seen.  All of those changes take TIME, and then there is the endless testing, to see if the code works as planned.

As Jerry said, many software developers would have just released the software before it was completely ready, and then give us countless fixes to the software, after the fact.  I would MUCH rather have software that WORKS, rather than software that was on deadline, but doesn't work.  Isn't that how you would prefer it?

I have been with Bruce back when it was Family Origins, and loved the software then, because it did so many more things than other software.  I still say the same thing, but now it's RootsMagic, and it's doing a lot more things than Family Origins used to do.  I am excited for the new upgrade, but I'm more than willing to wait until Bruce feels comfortable releasing it.

Brenda

#4 uberdorf

uberdorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for the information, I didn't know that it was announced that the deadline would be missed or that at least the API was delivered.  That much is appreciated.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

Bruce and Mike will be addressing the status of the Ancestry Sync in an upcoming blog post. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Bruce's blog post "An Open Letter on RootsMagic's Sync with Ancestry" is now online - http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2873

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 texdawg

texdawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

I put in an application to be a beta tester.  Being retired now I have time on my hands to help in this process. 

#8 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

After the RM to Ancestry trees sync is complete: does anyone have a feel as to being able to upload a gedcom file to an existing Ancestry.com tree?

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

This is what was announced.

Search – RootsMagic will be the only software besides FTM to search Ancestry’s extensive collections of historical records from around the world and let you download those records into your own file.

Sync – RootsMagic will be the only software besides FTM to let you share data between your RootsMagic files on your computer with your personal Ancestry online trees. You’ll also be able to download people, events, and even pictures from Ancestry onto your computer through RootsMagic.

Import – RootsMagic will be able to directly import your Family Tree Maker files, without having to go through an intermediate GEDCOM file, giving you the cleanest, most complete transfer of your data. RootsMagic will also be able to download your online trees from Ancestry.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 KK0213

KK0213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Are we looking at 2017 to be able to sync, or will we have to wait until 2018?   

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

I'm a user, not an RM employee or anything like that. I think that a very good guess is that the product will be delivered in the first quarter of 2017. I don't know if that means closer to January 15th or closer to March 31st, but surely it will make it during the first quarter. The developers thought they were going to make the end of 2016 deadline until fairly close to the end of the year and recently they were looking for beta testers, so they couldn't be too awfully far away. I would suggest planning for the end of March and then being pleasantly surprised if it's somewhat sooner. But it's all just a guess.

Jerry

#12 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Latest with some prerelease (so subject to possible change) screenshots -- http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2970.