4 replies to this topic

#1 Cedric

Cedric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

I recently installed Rm7, but it isn’t working properly. When I open it I have to enter my name and key every time. The response is “there was a problem saving the application preferences. “C\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 7\RootsmagicApp.xml”.

I then choose to register later, and a box comes up asking me to read news, though last time I clicked to not show this again. I once more choose don’t show this, then find and open an rmgc file, modify some options, such as don’t ask for a back-up.

I then try to close RM7 but get a message “RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error: cannot create file “C\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 7\””. I think there is more to this message, that is hidden in this dialog box. The message continues asking me to tell RootsMagic this problem, and I have sent this report several times. Regardless of my response, this dialog reappears. My immediate problem is that I cannot close the new RM7 that I have just purchased, except by using Task Manager. I suspect that once I try using the program to enter data, extract data or etc I will run into further problems. When I close by using Task Manager I get another dialog “”Can’t create file “C\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 7\RMToolbar.ini”. Access is denied.” After the latter 2 dialogs appear a few times, Task Manager brings up a dialog that the program is not responding, and the End Now button works.

When I press F1 while the RM database is open Windows Help and Support opens, not RM tech support.

I am running it on W7 Home Premium, on an HP Folio 13 notebook.

Any assistance appreciated

Regards

Cedric

#2 uberdorf

uberdorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

I've never had this problem, but what I suspect is a permissions problem, possibly from an antivirus program.  Does your computer have an antivirus installed?  Which one?  Do you have multiple profiles set up, one with administrative privileges and the others being standard users? 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:02 AM

On your desktop right click on the RootsMagic icon. Select "Run as administrator". Now enter your RootsMagic license key and it should remember it. Make sure you are not saving your RootsMagic database in the Program Files (x86) folder for RootsMagic 7. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Cedric

Cedric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for your responses, and 1st a bit more info.

I have run RM6 on this machine for some time with no problems.  I had BitDefender free on it.  I recently installed 3CX (a MS phone system) on it, and found conflict between W7, BitDefender and 3CX (an A/V problem, not a firewall problem, and peculiar to W7 as it didn't occur on a W10 machine).  So I changed from BitDefender to Avira free which allows 3CX to run - but maybe Avira didn't like RM7, installed on a non-admin account.

Next problem:  After uninstalling Avira I tried to install RM7.2.2.0 with Admin privilege but it gave a message that the installation folder existed (of course RM7.2.1.0 was already there), so I aborted and tried to remove RM7.2.1.0 using the Windows uninstaller, only to find RM wasn't in Control Panel's program list.  RM existed in the Start button program list, but there was no uninstaller there. So I tried to use the RM>Help>check for updates to install RM7.2.2.0 but it gave an error message about running in go-to mode.

So I installed RM7.2.2.0 over RM7.2.1.0 while in the Admin account, and that has worked OK.

So all now seems OK

Any assistance appreciated

Regards

Cedric

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:28 AM

I wonder if you now have two copies of RootsMagic on your computer? One in the Program Files (x86) folder and another in a different location running in RootsMagic To-Go mode. Which will happen if you move the RootsMagic 7 program files after installation or rename them. 

Renee
RootsMagic