9 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

The new update 7.2.2.0 just released has the new CrossOver wrapper included. You only need to do the COMPLETE uninstall if you were experiencing any freezing issues running under Sierra. If you simply update within the program you will update the Rootsmagic version but not the CrossOver wrapper.

Here are the steps for the complete uninstall.

Drag-and-drop the RootsMagic application icon to your trashbin.
In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder
Type "~/Library/Application Support"
Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trashbin.

I do recommend if you are a Mac user, and feel comfortable doing a complete uninstall, that you do so regardless of having freezing issues. Then you will be completely up-to-date with the Mac version.

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 edmnottm

edmnottm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hi Renee,

I have done as you stated above from a previous post and downloaded RM for Mac from the website but the version is still 7.0.1. Looking at your post above am I right in assuming that the 7.2.2.0 update which shows above the Mac installer on the website is the one to install as it now includes the Mac version?

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hi Renee,

I have done as you stated above from a previous post and downloaded RM for Mac from the website but the version is still 7.0.1. Looking at your post above am I right in assuming that the 7.2.2.0 update which shows above the Mac installer on the website is the one to install as it now includes the Mac version?

There are 2 software levels involved here. First there is the version/level that is shown when you use Get Info against the RootsMagic application in the Mac Applications folder. That is where 7.0.1 (or something like that) shows. Then there is the level displayed within RootsMagic itself once you start that application from the Application folder. This is where you should be seeing 7.2.2.0, or if you are at a lower level, you should be being prompted that a higher level is available and do you want to install it.

#4 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:32 AM

Just to confirm that you are using the new RootsMagic for Mac software, if you use the Get Package Contents (one of the other selections in the list where Get Info appears) against the RM application, this expands the information displayed in Finder so that you can explore all the underlying files. You will see that many of the folders and files were modified and last opened on the 27th October 2016. If you see this, this confirms that the latest version is in use.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Here is how you tell if you have the new Mac wrapper from CrossOver after a complete uninstall.

New version under Mac menu RootsMagic > About RootsMagic
Version 7.0.1 (7.0.1)
Copyright 2016 CodeWeavers, Inc.
or
Right click on RootsMagic.app >Get Info modified date is November 2, 2016

The current RootsMagic version under Help>About RootsMagic is 7.2.2.0

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Miatagirl

Miatagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

Just to add my experience to this post  It has been extremely frustration to deal with this issue.  I had to spend hours searching for information on this issue.  I did not know there was a new Mac version until I finally found this forum.  

Roots Magic kept freezing and I kept having to use force quit to shut down.  Then the program would not find any of my data to open and continued to keep freezing.  That's when I started looking for answers.

I uninstalled Roots Magic although the directions provided in this post did not work to uninstall it.  I uninstalled by going to Applications and dragging the icon to  the trash.  It was easy but I had already tried the method in this post provided by Roots Magic and it did nothing. I then installed the Mac version. (When I did this it never asked for my product key....)

There was no change in the program's response (lack of response actually) except that it found more files when I tried to search for files to open.  (It came up with a list of at least 151 files before I quit the search as I wasn't sure if any of those files were correct to open.) 

Roots Magic still 'froze' and I had to force quit.  I had to open and force close the program numerous times before it finally responded and I was able to use the menu bar.  I was then able to use the Restore feature and select my backup file. It has finally opened all my data.  I have not tried to use it to enter anything nor have I tried to close it yet.  

Hoping this is the end of the issue but I have no confidence that it will be.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

Moved posts off topic to another thread - Moving from Parallels to RootsMagic for Mac.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 JJ00nsz

JJ00nsz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

Just wanted to say thank you for this Renee! It helped me out a lot

#9 jpk_01

jpk_01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

RM7 kept freezing, finally became totally unusable. Installed- reinstalled. Then found out all the problems others were having, found and  went thru the instruction from Renee. Finally got clean install but program would not open. Would begin start then immediately shutdown-couldnt even read the message that flashed on. Suspecting hidden files were the problem so found info on and downloaded "App Cleaner" available on the App Store for free and followed the specific directions. As of a short while ago,  I was able to reinstall a fresh copy,  was informed there is a ! 7.2.3.0 ! updated, installed it; and imported the previous rmgc file, re-registered and it seems to be working. Time will tell. Not happy this all happened w no warning and during a time when the office is totally closed for a week w NO tech help available  !!

#10 JilBax

JilBax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

There is an easier solution to this topic:  

The problem is that the Mac version of Roots Magic is saving the main family tree file (ends in .rmgc) like it is a Mac using CrossOver.  I don't remember the exact path, but it saves it as something like C:\users\crossover\My Documents\familytree.rmgc which, on a Mac, would never exist.  

The fix is:  in Roots Magic go to File then hit "Rename".  I don't think you actually have to give the file a new name, but using the same name or a new one this will save the file to  a real folder of your choosing.